• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mephitical

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Lebanon
    I've done a few different loads and my (AR) rifle seems to like Varget over 4895. By "like" I mean my groups are tighter. Most of what I've loaded have been 60 and 62 grain bullets, but I don't have anything different yet.

I'm going to pick up some bullets of 55 grains and less and run another string of test loads. I've heard/read somewhere that 4895 seems to do better in lighter grain bullets, and Varget does better in larger grain bullets. May try some other powder once I need some more.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Sounds like a plan. Post your results. This stuff is always interesting.

If you think of it, post details on your rifle, Barrel length, twist rate, manufacturer.

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Let us know how that works out, particularly if you try both powders with the lighter projectiles.

That said, one reason for the variation could be the temperature outside. When I started reloading about 10 years ago, one of the things in the specs for Varget on the Hodgdon website was that it was less affected by changes in temperature (gave consistent muzzle velocities across a wide temperature range).

For what that's worth.

D

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Varget and H4895 use the exact same coatings that make them temperature insensitive.

I've never been able to make loads with H4895 show any sign of pressure sensitivity, including shooting loads that were over book max in 15 degree air and 110 degree air.

It's pretty stable stuff.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Varget and H4895 use the exact same coatings that make them temperature insensitive.

I've never been able to make loads with H4895 show any sign of pressure sensitivity, including shooting loads that were over book max in 15 degree air and 110 degree air.

It's pretty stable stuff.

I stopped arguing against the internet rumors and mis-information about this subject some time ago. I don't know why people choose to believe mis-information. I guess because it is in writing on a computer screen?

ALL powders are naturally insulators. It is the primer, not the powder that is temp sensitive.

H4895 was used before a lot of folks on these forums was born in M1 and M1-A competition loads. There is nothing more stressful to test a load than in highpower tournaments. At ranges in temps from -20 to +100 at ranges all over the world.

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    I stopped arguing against the internet rumors and mis-information about this subject some time ago. I don't know why people choose to believe mis-information. I guess because it is in writing on a computer screen?

ALL powders are naturally insulators. It is the primer, not the powder that is temp sensitive.

H4895 was used before a lot of folks on these forums was born in M1 and M1-A competition loads. There is nothing more stressful to test a load than in highpower tournaments. At ranges in temps from -20 to +100 at ranges all over the world.

Sounds like a good topic for a little article/testing. I should have all my stuff set up before it gets really COLD. I have several kinds of LR primers in my locker and enough powder to burn a wet dog. It seems reasonable to test both high-pressure (308 or 300 WM) and some low pressure (30-30 or ???). Winter, spring, and summer shoots should do it. Too bad I don't have a professional chronograph.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Sounds like a good topic for a little article/testing. I should have all my stuff set up before it gets really COLD. I have several kinds of LR primers in my locker and enough powder to burn a wet dog. It seems reasonable to test both high-pressure (308 or 300 WM) and some low pressure (30-30 or ???). Winter, spring, and summer shoots should do it. Too bad I don't have a professional chronograph.

Testing and articles on this have been done for the last 30 years. The 1000 yard shooters have published lots of data on this, since this is where the effects of temperature would really show up.

Then the internet warriors showed up.....

Check out past issues of "Precision Shooting" magazine. I'll bet there are 20 articles.

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    Testing and articles on this have been done for the last 30 years. The 1000 yard shooters have published lots of data on this, since this is where the effects of temperature would really show up.

Then the internet warriors showed up.....

Check out past issues of "Precision Shooting" magazine. I'll bet there are 20 articles.

I guess I'll have to find something else to limit the "honey-dos" this winter.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I use Varget with 62 grain bullets. I have tested three batches and have been pleased. The last batch I tested, the temp was roughly 40 degress with a 5 mph winds and gusts up to 10 mph. I do not have a chrono, hopefuly next year.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana

I am sure you know much more about this than I do but it is the manufacturer that states this "mis-information"

"VARGET®

The first of Hodgdon's revolutionary Extreme Extruded Powders, VARGET features small extruded grains for uniform metering, insensitivity to hot/cold temperatures and higher energy for improved velocities over other powders in its burning speed class. Easy ignition and clean burning characterize other features that translate into superb accuracy, higher scores and more clean, one shot kills. The perfect powder for competitive Match shooting 223 Remington and Heavy bullets. Outstanding performance and velocity can be obtained in such popular cartridges as the 223 Remington, 22-250 Remington, 308 Winchester, 30-06, 375 H&H and many more. Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers."

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute

Dean, please link something as I find this hard to believe.
    It would be easy to test as the same primer could be used with a supposedly temp sensitive powder and a supposedly reverse temp sensitive powder for the two extremes.
    I have an Oehler 35P for chronographing. Would you believe the results?

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Back to the topic. Varget is my powder of choice for my AR-15, 1:9", 69gr HPBT bullets. I load them on a progressive and had an issue with powder "sloshing" out of the case as it auto indexed. The other powder I use for range fodder with 55gr bullets is BLC-(2).

Top Bottom