• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • "ThatGuy"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    So I'm about to order an Armalite AR-50 and had a few questions. Let me start off by saying that before I even thought of purchasing a rifle of this stature, I called my local range (goes to 750yds) to make sure that they allow .50 BMG's at their range. They said that they do and they accept steel AND lead core ammunition. I consider myself to be an intermediate level shooter, and will be using this rifle for paper punching and when I get comfortable with it and its abilities, most likely try to step out to long range shooting ans possibly give matches a try.

I also already have a scope (SS 16x42 OK'd for .50) that I will be mounting to the rifle. Also, I have researched prices for ammunition and I will be able to afford ammunition for range time so I wont be taking out a loan or anything to feed it:laugh:. So with that said, here goes with my questions:

1. What is a good ring to mount my scope with that will A: be able to handle the heavy shock load of the .50 and B: you all would recommend. Also, for stepping out to the 750yd mark at the furthest for now(measly for the .50 I know), will the factory supplied 15 MOA base be adequate?

2. As far as shooting goes, how much different is it shooting a .50? This will be my first .50 and my first time shooting one as well. Ive heard that they have the felt recoil around a 12 gauge magnum slug gun.

3. As far as zeroing and creating a ballistics chart for come-ups and whatnot, is it more difficult than say my .308 heavy barrel?

4. As far as breaking in the barrel, I had planed to clean after every shot for the first 10, then clean every 3 for another fifteen rounds, then clean after every range session. Im not familiar with .50 break in or rifles so would this be an adequate break in routine?

5. Is there any further advice or tips anyone has for me seeing as I'm new to the .50 BMG world.

Thanks for looking and any information is greatly appreciated. :patriot:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    1. What is a good ring to mount my scope with that will A: be able to handle the heavy shock load of the .50 and B: you all would recommend. Also, for stepping out to the 750yd mark at the furthest for now(measly for the .50 I know), will the factory supplied 15 MOA base be adequate?

For 750 yards with a SS scope, yes, but you are going to be getting close to the bottom of the travel much further out. The gold Standard is the Badger Ordnance Max-50, but the Nightforce or Leupold rings (the ones for heavier caliber guns, not the $30 Leupys...) will be fine too.

2. As far as shooting goes, how much different is it shooting a .50? This will be my first .50 and my first time shooting one as well. Ive heard that they have the felt recoil around a 12 gauge magnum slug gun.

Depends on the gun, but yes. It's a hard shove, and you feel the concussion in your sinuses, but it's not a punch like shooting a magnum caliber from a lighter gun can be. The AR50 is one of the softer shooting .50s out there as it is a massive gun with an efficient brake.

3. As far as zeroing and creating a ballistics chart for come-ups and whatnot, is it more difficult than say my .308 heavy barrel?

Nope, in fact there are plenty of ballistics charts out there for most of the common precision loads.

4. As far as breaking in the barrel, I had planed to clean after every shot for the first 10, then clean every 3 for another fifteen rounds, then clean after every range session. Im not familiar with .50 break in or rifles so would this be an adequate break in routine?

That is similar to the procedure I've seen for all of the .50s I own. My new Ferret50 came with Dave (the owner of the company) saying that his barrels did not need break in, but if you wanted to then that's basically the same procedure.

5. Is there any further advice or tips anyone has for me seeing as I'm new to the .50 BMG world.

Reload. Not only is is much cheaper, but you can fit the ammo to your gun.

My comments in red. Also search around a bit here, there's several of us who have .50s and have posted a lot about them. I have a couple of threads including one on my recent scope selection process for my new build.

I loved my AR50, but you're going to find transporting it to matches to be fun unless you have a truck. When I got mine it filled the bed of my Tacoma...

"ThatGuy"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    haha sweet, Ive got a Subaru WRX so Ill prolly have a Pelican case diagonally filling up my back seat. I figure If my 158cm snowboard can cram back there then a pelican case could fit.

Also I forgot to ask in my original thread, but as far as right height, Ill problably need to get "high" rings right?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    haha sweet, Ive got a Subaru WRX so Ill prolly have a Pelican case diagonally filling up my back seat. I figure If my 158cm snowboard can cram back there then a pelican case could fit.

Also I forgot to ask in my original thread, but as far as right height, Ill problably need to get "high" rings right?

The SS 16x42 on the stock rail for the AR50 would probably work with BO's medium rings, but if you ever wanted to go with a larger objective (I have a Nightforce NXS 5-22x56 on my Ferret50) then you'll want the high rings, so you might as well get them now.

"ThatGuy"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Awesome thanks for the help. Ill problably stick with the Super Sniper and medium rings for now. Once I get used to the rifle and everything, then Ill step up to a Nightforce and high rings next year

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    So I'm about to order an Armalite AR-50 and had a few questions. Let me start off by saying that before I even thought of purchasing a rifle of this stature, I called my local range (goes to 750yds) to make sure that they allow .50 BMG's at their range. They said that they do and they accept steel AND lead core ammunition. I consider myself to be an intermediate level shooter, and will be using this rifle for paper punching and when I get comfortable with it and its abilities, most likely try to step out to long range shooting ans possibly give matches a try.

I also already have a scope (SS 16x42 OK'd for .50) that I will be mounting to the rifle. Also, I have researched prices for ammunition and I will be able to afford ammunition for range time so I wont be taking out a loan or anything to feed it:laugh:. So with that said, here goes with my questions:

You should look for a scope that has at least 50 MOA + the 15 MOA base. I use WARNE QUICK-DETACH SUPER HIGH RINGS
    I have NIGHTFORCE 5-22x56{$1,800 too much money} BUSHNELL ELITE 4.5-30x50{haven't shot this scope, but the price is right $899} BURRIS BLACK DIAMOND 8-32x50{$800, but only has 39 MOA} MILLETT BUCK GOLD 4-16x56{shot about 40 rounds of 50 BMG & the lens started to rattle, returned it back to MILLET & they sent me a N E W one.
    Oh it's very different, The muzzle-brake will throw muzzle blast that will give you a running nose & feel like your face been slap. The report is very loud, but the recoil isn't that bad.

4. As far as breaking in the barrel, I had planed to clean after every shot for the first 10, then clean every 3 for another fifteen rounds, then clean after every range session. Im not familiar with .50 break in or rifles so would this be an adequate break in routine? Your break-in session is perfect

5. Is there any further advice or tips anyone has for me seeing as I'm new to the .50 BMG world. BUY a LEE 50 BMG KIT, It's about $200 & also buy the HORNADY POWDER MEASURE cause you'll be throwing 233 gr. of HODGDON H50BMG powder with the 750 gr. A-MAX bullet.

Thanks for looking and any information is greatly appreciated. :patriot:[/quote]

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

DID YOU BUY A 50 BMG:dunno::dunno:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    To the OP, I dont know if you would be interested but the local shop here "Cabin Fever" had an AR50 for sale there, the owner said it only had about 10 rounds shot through it, comes with scope an bipod, an he said he would throw in 30 rds of tracer ammo for $2999.00 sounds like a pretty decent deal. Just thought id pass the info along.

Top Bottom