• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    A possible solution for bears? A great pistol caliber deer rifle? A fun albeit expensive to shoot range gun?

Predator Tactical has designed a new pump action rifle in 500 S&W. It is a bit costly at $1895 but for that price you are getting a custom made rifle chambered in a heavy hitting cartridge. At 7 pounds with a 16 1/2 inch barrel it is small and light enough to pack along easily in the back country. Puts me in mind of the IMI Timberwolf on steroids. Recoil is said to be on par with a 20 gauge. If I lived in bear country this would be high on my considered list.

The awesome power of a 500 S&W in a Pump rifle!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTljudimoEk"]YouTube - Matt Burkett with VHOLDR helmet cam shooting a Predator 500 S&W at a can of soda.[/ame]

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    An SBR, too!

That's hot.

Expensive. But hot.

-J-

ETA: Evidently NOT an SBR according to the website. At least as far as barrel length goes. Can't tell the OAL.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Might be close dimensionally, but without looking it up, I will bet that the 500 S&W has at least 3 times the energy of the 410.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Would depend on the bullet weight for the .500 but the .500 SWM would have approximately 1,000 foot pounds more of energy at the muzzle.

This thing would be just the ticket for Indiana deer hunting, no?:D

Of course it's 2K so likely to have a narrow market.:n00b:

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    They had it on one of the shooting shows on the Outdoor Channel the other day. They are pretty neat, but for $2000 and $2.50 a shot.....I'll pass. If someone made it for $500...I may have to have one.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    If cost was the only criteria for owning a gun I wouldn't own some very fine guns. Not sure where you shop for ammo but 500 S&W is available for a lot less than $2.50 a round...even cheaper if you reload.

I tend to look at a gun and if it fits a need then cost really isn't that much a factor, I try to find the best price I can on it of course. Hopefully this company will do well and will add the 460 S&W in the future...be nice to have a combo with a handgun I already own.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    If cost was the only criteria for owning a gun I wouldn't own some very fine guns. Not sure where you shop for ammo but 500 S&W is available for a lot less than $2.50 a round...even cheaper if you reload.

I tend to look at a gun and if it fits a need then cost really isn't that much a factor, I try to find the best price I can on it of course. Hopefully this company will do well and will add the 460 S&W in the future...be nice to have a combo with a handgun I already own.

460 is illegal out of a rifle in Indiana unless they do actually get the max case length requirement changed.

500 is 1.6"
    460 is 1.8"

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I understand what your saying about if it fits the bill its worth the money. Thats why I hunt with a muzzleloader and an 870. Now if I was a guide in Canada or Alaska and wanted a rifle to go with my anit-bear side arm, and I happened to carry one in 500 SW....ok maybe.

Top Bottom