• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Because those semantics are used by people with an agenda to push a narrative. Illegal gun, gun crime, assault style weapon, all come to mind that fit that description.
    Yes and also used by people with no agenda. We must look at the intent of the words, not just the words used. It is much easier for a detective/officer to use the phrase "illegal guns" instead of "legal guns possessed by persons prohibited from possessing them."

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Yes and also used by people with no agenda. We must look at the intent of the words, not just the words used. It is much easier for a detective/officer to use the phrase "illegal guns" instead of "legal guns possessed by persons prohibited from possessing them."
    Shouldn't we identify the criminal and his crime and not the criminal's tools? "Illegal guns" is used specifically to highlight the gun, not the actual criminal or crime. Did IMPD remove any illegal knives? Illegal bricks, sticks or syringes? When a perp is caught rolling around town in a car he jacked from the owner (probably at gun point), do we refer to the "illegal car"? I accept your premise that not every comment from people carry an agenda. But the phrase 'illegal gun' is to emphasize the gun. Factually, IMPD removed illegal criminals, not guns. To that I say good job. Guns aren't illegal.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Shouldn't we identify the criminal and his crime and not the criminal's tools? "Illegal guns" is used specifically to highlight the gun, not the actual criminal or crime. Did IMPD remove any illegal knives? Illegal bricks, sticks or syringes? When a perp is caught rolling around town in a car he jacked from the owner (probably at gun point), do we refer to the "illegal car"? I accept your premise that not every comment from people carry an agenda. But the phrase 'illegal gun' is to emphasize the gun. Factually, IMPD removed illegal criminals, not guns. To that I say good job. Guns aren't illegal.
    Shootings are through the roof. Specialty units and detectives are tasked to try to curb the massive amount of drive-bys, robberies, and other neighborhood shootings. The tool of choice for shootings are guns... Targeting criminals who illegally carry, modify, buy/sell, use, firearms. A single arrest can net many firearms. Neighborhood groups like seeing this. It is an obvious/tangible product of the investigations and/or arrests. They know people are attached to the arrests.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I really don't get the butthurt over semantics. "Illegal guns" is a single term used to describe guns that are altered, modified, or possessed by prohibited persons. It's not a derogatory towards anyone and not actually inaccurate. Only die-hard gun enthusiasts get bent out of shape over this. BTW, before we go dumping on the Detective, I'm pretty sure he owned his own gun store and is a well respected member of this board. He knows a thing or two about a thing or two.
    My issue with the term "illegal guns" is that for those who are either anti gun or non gun owners who don't know better, it may lead people to believe there are illegally produced guns being manufactured in high numbers. Kind of the same way they spin "ghost guns" as if they are everywhere and account for an exceptionally high rate of guns used in crime.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Is it easier or is it possible an officer's terminology is based on common phrases used in that line of work? The latter is more descriptive and put s perspective on why those guns are being considered illegal.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Shootings are through the roof. Specialty units and detectives are tasked to try to curb the massive amount of drive-bys, robberies, and other neighborhood shootings. The tool of choice for shootings are guns... Targeting criminals who illegally carry, modify, buy/sell, use, firearms. A single arrest can net many firearms. Neighborhood groups like seeing this. It is an obvious/tangible product of the investigations and/or arrests. They know people are attached to the arrests.
    I agree with this. It's good to hear of the positive work IMPD is doing and I know some of those struggles you have to overcome to get the job done.

But tell the public you are going after stolen guns, guns illegally possessed/modified/bought and sold and those involved in such activities.
    Takes what 10 seconds more to actually be descriptive in a press conference or news clip?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    But tell the public you are going after stolen guns, guns illegally possessed/modified/bought and sold and those involved in such activities.
    What I would rather hear is that Ryan Mears is actually going to prosecute those participating in those activities. Makes no difference how many are arrested if the prosecutors and judges are just going to set them free before the officers can even complete their reports.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Takes what 10 seconds more to actually be descriptive in a press conference or news clip?
    Because the people using the term don't know that there is an issue with using the term. It's quick and easy and as far as they know, without issue.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sort of "off topic".

My dad just found a 24 round magazine in the yard while cutting the grass.
    It is not from anyone in the family, as far as we can tell.
    My mom said, we should call the police.
    I looked at her, and asked "Why?"
    Because it might have been used and they can get fingerprints, was the response.
    I told her, magazines are not illegal, there have been no shootings nearby it "might" have been used in, and so on.
    I told her what would happen if she calls in and says she found a coffee cup in the yard and called the police.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Sort of "off topic".

My dad just found a 24 round magazine in the yard while cutting the grass.
    It is not from anyone in the family, as far as we can tell.
    My mom said, we should call the police.
    I looked at her, and asked "Why?"
    Because it might have been used and they can get fingerprints, was the response.
    I told her, magazines are not illegal, there have been no shootings nearby it "might" have been used in, and so on.
    I told her what would happen if she calls in and says she found a coffee cup in the yard and called the police.

What is it with folks here?

Some are finding morels in their and others are finding magaznes. All I ever find is a friggin dandelion.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    All the butthurt over what the detective (and INGO member) supposedly said, when we all know the media doesn't exactly quote what they are told.
    That's true too, you make a good point. I didn't even give consideration to that in my responses.

But, for the record there's no butthurt here. Just didn't care for the way it could be twisted with the wording used.

Top Bottom