• ...and so much more!
  • townmarshal

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    indy
    762x 54r

Powder if repeatedly or constantly exposed to too much heat, will slowly turn to nitric acid and eat up the case and or turn it brittle. Was given some Korean War era 3006 once that was in that shape.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Since the 7.62x54r round is rimmed a thicker rim would cause insufficient headspace. A thinner rim would, on the other hand, could cause excessive headspace. I've shot some of this ammo in the past, and had quite a few problems with it. It is just old, bad ammo that should be junked.

yes...you should absolutely get rid of that ammo..wether the headspace is inadequate or excessive the result will basically become the same....but with those old military rifles it is still a good idea to check their headspace considering how many rounds have gone through them combined with the "lesser quality" of steels and their treatment back in those days....the $25 gauges are worth it if you shoot more than one of them often

DerFreischutz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Lafayette/Fort Wayne
    I've mostly kept it as a SHTF stockpile (have 231 rounds left now), but like I said, I gave it one more try with a different gun, same result. I saw where I can rent a set of 7.62x54R headspace gauges for less than $20. I will likely do that soon to error on the side of caution. That's interesting about heat turning the powder to nitric acid. Here are some pics of rounds that look suspicious before firing.
    2ypdgec.jpg

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    it looks like the tarnish near the bottom of the casing is an example of the "acid" scenario....the marks on the top appear to be a form of what's called "cross metal corrosion"....this is caused when two different types of metals are in contact with one another for extended periods of time...the different "composition" in each of the metals actually starts and promotes corrosion faster than if they were just kept apart and not touching....in this case the casings are brass and the jacket probably some form of copper, judging by its color

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    in any case....theoretically, if your bolt was locking in its proper position (not worn) thereby holding the casing in its proper position as not to allow gases to escape in any direction but down the muzzle...then you shouldn't have the blowback or broken cases no matter how bad the ammo is...because the only place for the gas to go is down the barrel...but in this case it's moving rearward...indicating a headspace issue from SOMEWHERE....which is why you should get the gun checked

Last edited:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    in any case....theoretically, if your bolt was locking in its proper position (not worn) thereby holding the casing in its proper position as not to allow gases to escape in any direction but down the muzzle...then you shouldn't have the blowback or broken cases no matter how bad the ammo is...because the only place for the gas to go is down the barrel...but in this case it's moving rearward...indicating a headspace issue from SOMEWHERE....which is why you should get the gun checked
    This is true too.:yesway: The Russians were building these gun quickly, and were not all that picky about QA standards during war time production demands. I had the head spacing checked in mine due to the bolt working hard, but even though it was to the low side of tolerance, it was safe to shoot. I find brass cased ammo does smooth out the action over the steel cased.:D

bulletbaron

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Your first sentence says it all!

"I picked up some cheap surplus at a gun show"

Remember, you get what you pay for!

Now, all this ado about bad ammo, hopefully you have learned a valuble lesson after all of this!

Top Bottom