7mm Rem Mag Reload Data --- Powder --- Which single stage press?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I am beginning to get into reloading. I have a "mentor" that has been showing me the ropes for a year or so and I am confident that it is definitely something I want to get into. At this point, I have acquired over 150 rounds of once fired Winchester 150 gr. Power Point brass. (This factory load shot right at 1 MOA out of my Remington 700 CDL w/ 26" barrel)

The mentor I have been learning from also gifted me many bullets that someone gave to him many years ago.

I now have these bullets that I received for free that I will reload for:

600 Winchester 150 gr. Power Point
    400 Sierra 140 gr. Gameking
    200 Sierra 120 gr. Matchking

I am familiar with the reloading process at this point, but a newbie when it comes to different powders and exactly what they mean/ how versatile they are.

Any reloading advice or success data for the 7mm Rem Mag would be much appreciated!

MY QUESTIONS:
    What powder would you all start with and can you really go wrong until you test them? I have read good things about IMR4350, H4350, IMR4831, and IMR7828.

What single stage press would you all recommend for an all around good value. I will eventually reload 30.06 for all of my military surplus rifles and would possibly entertain pistol calibers down the road. At maturity, I would expect that I will only reload about 500 - 1000 rounds per year.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    +1 on the RCBS RC Combo kit.

As for powders, I would start with H4831SC, given those bullets weights. For heavier bullets, you might go even slower.

Irrespective of having a reloading mentor, you would be well-served to read the instructional portion of one or more manuals...repeatedly. Unlike many things in life, if you don't KNOW what you're doing when you reload ammunition, you shouldn't be doing it. Especially with a high-pressure round like the 7RM, the consequences are serious.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I hate to disagree with everyone else...I LOVE my rockchucker...BUT.

Even when loading 30-06 there is less room than I like...so press clearance or height is an issue for me....Loading certain bullets I have to first jockey the tip of the bullet inside the seating die before I can insert the boat-tail portion of the bullet into the case mouth.

Once you start reloading...you will like it and do it a lot so go ahead and buy quality the first time around. Redding Ultramag gets my vote this time.

The Rockchuckers are great presses...but if you like shooting magnums, and see a .375H&H or weatherby in your future, than you cant go wrong with the big redding.

As far as powder goes, I dont have any experience loading for the 7mmRM...but I tend to like Hodgdon products....H4350 is very versatile.

God bless
    -Shred

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I would agree again that the Rock Chucker is an excellent choice for a single stage setup.
    That's all that I've ever used, and it works perfectly.
    One of the Fire Controlmen in Missile Division on my first ship (yes, Navy) liked RCBS, but he said that Redding was also superb.
    As for powder recommendations, please don't just ask for what to use, but actually go to the manuals and find what they have as viable options, and stay well within the listed data, NO MATTER WHAT.
    With that said, my manuals list powders on the slower end of the burn rate scale, namely the likes of IMR4350 for lighter loads, to IMR4831 for medium heavy, to H4831 for heavier still.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I hate to disagree with everyone else...I LOVE my rockchucker...BUT.

Even when loading 30-06 there is less room than I like...so press clearance or height is an issue for me....Loading certain bullets I have to first jockey the tip of the bullet inside the seating die before I can insert the boat-tail portion of the bullet into the case mouth.

Once you start reloading...you will like it and do it a lot so go ahead and buy quality the first time around. Redding Ultramag gets my vote this time.

The Rockchuckers are great presses...but if you like shooting magnums, and see a .375H&H or weatherby in your future, than you cant go wrong with the big redding.

As far as powder goes, I dont have any experience loading for the 7mmRM...but I tend to like Hodgdon products....H4350 is very versatile.

God bless
    -Shred

Redding manufactures excellent reloading equipment, I own many sets of there dies.
    I thought the Rockchucker Supreme had a larger opening than the old Rockchucker ?
    About the same as Reddings Magnum Press ??¿?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    good stuff! I was intrigued by the $199 Hornady Lock-N-Load Single Stage kit that Palmetto had on sale but I see they are out of stock. The Rockchucker looks like a solid press and I really like that it is cast iron. I will probably wait awhile and try to find a used Rockchucker or another good deal on the Hornady. (Another reason the Hornady kit looked nice was the fact that it came with an electric scale and price.)

Sounds like IMR4831 may be the better way to go starting out with the Winchester 150 gr. Power Point bullets. Soon after I get setup I'd like to load a 175 gr. bullet for Elk hunting so that may be another reason to start with a slower burning powder than IMR4350.

I noticed that Hodgdon owns IMR. Is there really a difference between IMR4381/H4381, IMR4350/H4350, Etc. ?

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    good stuff! I was intrigued by the $199 Hornady Lock-N-Load Single Stage kit that Palmetto had on sale but I see they are out of stock. The Rockchucker looks like a solid press and I really like that it is cast iron. I will probably wait awhile and try to find a used Rockchucker or another good deal on the Hornady. (Another reason the Hornady kit looked nice was the fact that it came with an electric scale and price.)

Sounds like IMR4831 may be the better way to go starting out with the Winchester 150 gr. Power Point bullets. Soon after I get setup I'd like to load a 175 gr. bullet for Elk hunting so that may be another reason to start with a slower burning powder than IMR4350.

I noticed that Hodgdon owns IMR. Is there really a difference between IMR4381/H4381, IMR4350/H4350, Etc. ?

Reloading is one of those things where you either KNOW what you're doing, or you need to slow down and get more information until you do.

IMR4350 and H4350 are similar, though not identical. IMR4831 and H4831, on the other hand, are absolutely different powders and getting them confused can put you in a very bad situation! H4831 is considerably slower burning than the IMR powder with the same numbers after it. Do NOT mix these two up!

The Hornady single stage is a good press. I've had a RockChucker for going on 30 years and it's not showing any sign of ever wearing out. My grandson will likely be able to reload with it, if he so chooses...and he hasn't even been conceived yet. :)

In general, slower burning powders will be used for heavier bullets. IMR4350 is a very versatile powder and the first truly slow-burning powder reloaders were able to get their hands on. It's still a great choice for many applications, but with those 175gr bullets and the big-jugged 7RM case, something even slower is indicated. H4831SC is a powder that meters very well and is a little slower than any of the 4350 powers. There are a few powders that are even slower than 4831, but I have not found a need for them when loading for 7RM cases. YMMV

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    [...]

All four of the powders you listed cover just about all practical uses for 7mm RM, but there are lots of others also suitable.
    I have used all except for H4350, but as for how each compares to the other with the same numbers, H4350 and IMR4350 are essentially identical, but H4831 is a bit slower burning than IMR4831.
    My personal favorite in my .30-06 is IMR4831.
    Not trying to sound preachy here, but please don't interpolate and get yourself a decent manual, preferably several, before you drop a single powder charge into a case.
    Use the listed brand and number of powder for loads you assemble.
    It's a great way to learn more about shooting, and you'll really like reloading once you get into it.

Top Bottom