• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mhostetter45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2018
    Evansville
    Someday I’m going west to hunt elk. What’s your thoughts on a 7mm rem mag for Whitetail. Can’t justify a gun like the 7mm just setting around hoping for a chance to get outside.

Last edited:

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Someday I’m going west to hunt elk. What’s your thoughts on a 7mm win mag for Whitetail. Can’t justify a gun like the 7mm just setting around hoping for a chance to get outside.
    I'm assuming you mean 7mm Remington Magnum (not trying to come off as a smart alec, there are a lot of competing Winchester vs. Remington cartridges out there).
    An 06, 308 or 270 would be more economical and do fine for both.
    This right here^. 7mm is one of my favorite rounds so if I was going west, that's what I would bring, however Slim is correct.
    7mm from a velocity and energy standpoint is more powerful than any of those three (maybe except higher poser 30-06) and will have good sectional density. It will take down anything in North America, but the calibers Slim posted will be more common and cheaper. Good 139gr Barnes 7mm is roughly $51 for twenty, but 3200 FPS at 3100 ft-lbs is no slouch. Another thing to consider is a 7mm barrel will have to around 25-27 inches to get that speed.

Mhostetter45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2018
    Evansville
    Appreciate the advice and pointing out my typo. Must of been dreaming about a pre-64 model 70. I originally planned on going the 308 route. But lately my midlife crisis had me thinking more power.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    One of my kids used his 7mm Rem Mag Elk gun for deer this year. Took one at about 110 yards and one about 50 (?). No excessive damage. Shot placements were good lung shots and they DRT.

He does hand load though...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    7mm mag is good for both, just choose the weight and type of projectile and you'll be fine.

The 7mm RUM (Remington Ultra Mag) on the other hand is a bit rough on the critter if you want meat and not just a rack...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    PS: The 7mm mag round came out the same year as the Remington model 700 (1964) and second, you spell your last name wrong...

Mhostetter45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2018
    Evansville
    One of my kids used his 7mm Rem Mag Elk gun for deer this year. Took one at about 110 yards and one about 50 (?). No excessive damage. Shot placements were good lung shots and they DRT.

He does hand load though...
    I don’t hand load, but I figured core-lokt, fusion or American whitetail would get it done in the Midwest without too much damage. Then we could drop some $$ on premium ammo as needed.

Top Bottom