• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    So I was goose hunting. I was firing and suddenly my 870's pump wasn't able to be pulled back. So here is what I did

I took off the barrel.

I took apart the the gun and improvised. I used spit yes spit. I then I used a burlap rag to wipe it down.

Then as the geese were coming in I screwed the barrel back on. and loaded up

I want to know how could jams be prevented in the first place? I clean this gun every 100 rounds. I missed 1 group of geese because of this

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    What ammo were you using?

My 870 and my buddies HATES Winchester Super X 12 gauge.

I'm not sure if the extractor couldn't grab the rim or the base was expanding in the chamber but on multiple occasions we had to tap the shell out w/ a cleaning rod because the pump action would be stuck closed.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    What ammo were you using?

My 870 and my buddies HATES Winchester Super X 12 gauge.

I'm not sure if the extractor couldn't grab the rim or the base was expanding in the chamber but on multiple occasions we had to tap the shell out w/ a cleaning rod because the pump action would be stuck closed.
    I was using federal black cloud 3 inch. Then I think some winchester. it might have been all the dust in the field

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    A coworker was telling me a couple of days ago about an article he read about some of the more recently built 870s having too tight of tolerances ,I will ask him on monday where he saw it.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Agreed. Mine will sometimes get tight with the wrong ammo being fired. But I cannot pull the barrel if being racked back due to the ejector holding it. Use a wooden dowel to tap the spent case out from barrel end as its being racked back.

My older 870 WM and newer 870 SYN both do it. About a month ago we had to tear one down at the trap area to remedy this. Tight tolerance and cheap ammo is usually the culprit.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    man, my 870's never get stuck that bad. i've noticed the cheapo winchester shells do make it a little harder to work the action but never that bad. and i only clean the thing about once a year.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If it is an Express model:

Polish the chamber.

I would also tell you to polish the edge under the barrel hood where the bolt locks up AND the bolt surface that goes against it but since you are a kid you could screw that up, in which case your gun may not won't lock up at all.

Do you feel lucky?

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    If it is an Express model:

Polish the chamber.

I would also tell you to polish the edge under the barrel hood where the bolt locks up AND the bolt surface that goes against it but since you are a kid you could screw that up, in which case your gun may not won't lock up at all.

Do you feel lucky?

I reamed out a bolt catch on my ar15 I am building and it turned out great. I feel lucky. Or could this be a excuse to buy a new gun?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    OK, the pics I have of this are not at my disposal right now.

Take off the barrel and take out the bolt.

See how the bolt lifts up and catches in the curved indentation in the barrel hood. When the bolt pulls back against the flat surface in the hood the flat spot of the bolt matches up to that flat spot.

Now on the barrel, feel that flat spot and the edge of it. To be sure, this flat surface runs vertical or perpendicular to the axis of the barrel. The size of your thumb nail.

You want that area smooth and the edge crisp. DO NOT round that edge or the bolt may not lock up properly. The bolt drags on that edge and can get hung up there. That is the difference between an Express and a Wingmaster or Police. Polishing.

You can stone that area flat but again DO NOT round any edges.

I have to go. I will check back tomorrow or tonight. Don't get in a rush, just look it over for now. Maybe I can take a few pics to show you first.

If you have a drill, fine steel wool and a long enoughwooden dowel, say 12" long, you can go ahead and polish the chamber. Polsih all of it and you can't do any damage doing that. Split one end of the dowl, jam the steel wool in it. Chuck the dowel in the drill and go at the chamber. Polish the bolt too.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I want to know how could jams be prevented in the first place? I clean this gun every 100 rounds. I missed 1 group of geese because of this

Try cleaning after every use. I always do, and I'd never leave crud in my gun for months at a time because I hadn't reached tha magic limit of 100 rounds.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Try cleaning after every use. I always do, and I'd never leave crud in my gun for months at a time because I hadn't reached tha magic limit of 100 rounds.
    Every time I come back from the range I have put atleast 100 rounds through it. I clean it every time I come back

Top Bottom