• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I didn't catch what pistol you have but in my Range Officer I have run factory 9 rounders and a bunch of Dawson 10 rounders.

None of given me any issues.

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    624nScb.jpg

That's the worst way to say get a Staccato I have ever seen, keep the poors and their filthy Glock brand Glock magazines away from John Moses Browning's utter genius.

To OP's actual question, Wilson Combat is always the answer for 1911 magazines. Never had any issues , though only have their .45acp magazines myself.
    Yea, I mean why would you want a gun that is just as accurate, handles just as well as a Staccato, and that has better magazines...? Crazy talk.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    STI I have become partial to the 10 rounders.
    I can't make a recommendation since I don't have experience with STI but my 10 round Dawson mags have never given me any issues.

That said, I'm not for certain he is still doing them. They are Metalform mags that he "tuned".

My guess is one could probably just buy Metalform mags and be okay.

This is from the Metalform site but that is basically what mine look like. He may have done some tuning on the follow and/or feed lips. Or it may have been a marketing ploy, lol.

1691455008139.png

Reactions: Leo

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    The grip on Platypus is brilliant and is not as similar to a 1982 Polymer handgun (Glock) that has not been changed much over the years.

Now I am curious, have you ever shot, held or better yet even owned a platypus? The grip is definitely fatter than a standard 2011 and you can't overcome the Glock mag grip angle

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    Now I am curious, have you ever shot, held or better yet even owned a platypus? The grip is definitely fatter than a standard 2011 and you can't overcome the Glock mag grip angle
    I own one. It shoots like a dream. The grip angle is good, you don't have to do that minor hand flip adjustment once you present the gun to get on your sight(s). You also can't get around the fact that Glock 17 mags are more reliable and much cheaper than 2011 mags.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Chip McCormick, Wilson Combat, Tripp Research magazines is what use for my 45acp, and 10mm 1911's.
    I have a Metalform for my 45acp, but I haven't used it enough to give it a good to go yet.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Run primarily Wilson 10rd 9mm but just did the Ed Brown mag exchange for some Metalform mags I had sitting around. Shot a bunch of rounds through the EB’s over the weekend and not a hiccup.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I must be one of the "poors" you speak of but I don't mind that moniker because I'm certainly not rich. Just perusing through this thread and wondering, have you ever shot a Platypus? Grip angle is the same as a 1911, the gun was designed around what is probably the most reliable pistol mag money can buy. Feels better to me in every respect than a Staccato but of course YMMV, we all like something different in that arena.
    I've never been interested in the Staccato because of the dollars initially spend and the cost of the expendable parts (magazines).. I do have a platypus and I've owned, and still do, Wilsons and Nighthawks. The platypus is IMHO better fit, finish and innovative design than any pistol I've ever owned. You can always pay more for a product but that doesn't always mean you are getting more. Glad you are happy with the Staccato and I'm elated with the Platypus. That makes it a happy day for all!

Attachments

• Platy 8-13-23.jpg
      Platy 8-13-23.jpg
      401.5 KB · Views: 7
    • PlatyEPS8-23.jpg
      PlatyEPS8-23.jpg
      365.5 KB · Views: 7

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Tripp, STI, McCormick, Wilson, Ed Browns, in that order, have been my most reliable magazines. Wouldn't hesitate using Megars either as I've heard peeps having good experiences with them, but I can't speak of them personally as I don't have any.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    I agree with the general consensus here of Wilson/Chip McCormick for top choice aftermarket mags.
    I would also mention Checkmate, as they are the factory supplied mags for Dan Wesson firearms, and have performed flawlessly for me.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Question for the Platypus and Staccato owners.
    What's the circumference of the grip?
    Is it blocky, like the old Para-Ordnance double stack 1911"s?
    Does the trigger reach feel in the same ballpark as a single stack?
    I ask because it's not always the size of your hands that matters, sometimes a grip just doesn't sit comfortably in your hand due to shape.
    ie. I wear an XL glove, but Para's and Hi-Powers make my hand/wrist assume unnatural angles to operate the controls.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I must be one of the "poors" you speak of but I don't mind that moniker because I'm certainly not rich. Just perusing through this thread and wondering, have you ever shot a Platypus? Grip angle is the same as a 1911, the gun was designed around what is probably the most reliable pistol mag money can buy. Feels better to me in every respect than a Staccato but of course YMMV, we all like something different in that arena.
    I've never been interested in the Staccato because of the dollars initially spend and the cost of the expendable parts (magazines).. I do have a platypus and I've owned, and still do, Wilsons and Nighthawks. The platypus is IMHO better fit, finish and innovative design than any pistol I've ever owned. You can always pay more for a product but that doesn't always mean you are getting more. Glad you are happy with the Staccato and I'm elated with the Platypus. That makes it a happy day for all!
    LOL, you must not remember or be old enough the remember the Glock Perfection, gen 1 and gen 2 mags that swelled and would not drop free and the ones that the plastic just split.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    LOL, you must not remember or be old enough the remember the Glock Perfection, gen 1 and gen 2 mags that swelled and would not drop free and the ones that the plastic just split.
    To quote an old song, that was yesterday and yesterdays gone.. I believe I am old enough and I never bought the "perfection" thing but I do recognize a good magazine.

Top Bottom