• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    can anyone tell me what brand & grn 9mm bullet they like best. Just got a new 1911 9mm, and want to stock up on some rounds.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Are you looking for target practice or self defense?? For practice I use the WWB 115 grn but for defense I would recommend buying a few different types to see what your pistol shoots best. My Walther PPQ really likes Federal Premium 135 grn Hydra-Shok JHP.
    Good luck!

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Thanks usually get my ammo from usa ammo, but their going through some changes and are out of alot. Most of the shooting going to be just for fun.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    What works best for Person A with Gun X might not be what works best for YOU with YOUR gun...

Guns tend to "like" certain ammo better than others. Some guns "hate" certain ammo...both from a feeding/ejecting standpoint and also from an accuracy standpoint.

Best advice: Buy a few boxes of a few different kinds of ammo and go from there.

-J-

Last edited:

GlockFox

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Naptown
    Speer LE Gold Dot 124gr for home defense and Federal American Eagle 115gr for target practice. Indy Guy 77 is right though, what works best for one gun may not work best for another.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr is a good place to start. Another excellent carry round for defense is the Hornady Critical Defense in 9 mm.

For range practice I just get whatever's on sale. :twocents:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The slide on a 1911 is pretty heavy. The only 1911 in 9mm I ever shot liked 124 grain ammo for best function. The accuracy did not seem to matter, but the lighter loads were what was in the pistol whenever it short stroked and misfed. Like the guy said above, try a few types and see what your pistol likes best.

Top Bottom