• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm too impatient and controlling. I'd want to just jump in my ride and speed over to fix the problem because everybody was taking too long or doing it wrong. I struggle with that whole "let it go" thing every day.

I'm that way with the kids when it would be easier and faster for me to do it, but it's one of those things they have to learn to do. Oh, and at the grocery store in the self-checkout lanes. But anything else? Don't really have the issue. Thankfully.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I did it part time for about a year while going through the IPD process. For the most part, its no more demanding than working a computer help desk. Every now and then things get exciting though. "Baby not breathing" calls suck and can haunt you for a bit. I was on the horn for one officer involved shooting, and that sucked.

The scariest part was I worked for a rural county and there were spots that the radios didn't work. I'd lose contact with my deputies occasionally when they were on something, and it was nerve racking to not be able to talk to your guys when they were on a domestic with a gun or the like. When we went digital, that helped out a lot.

Toning out fire was fun. I liked the noises it made. Each volunteer fire department had their own tone, and some of them sounded pretty cool.

Toning out EMS was boring. Same noise every time, just a boring beeping noise.

I'd say its a lot easier to leave the "suck" of the job behind at the end of the day, compared to actually being on the street, though. Hearing it is one thing. Seeing it is another.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    From a toxicology/pharmacology standpoint, Cannabis (marijuana) can cause hallucinations as a symtom of an overdose on it. Just because your average 'smoker does not routinely hallucinate when using cannabis does not mean that this symptom does not exist.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I was the desk sergeant for a couple of years. Not only did I get the 911 calls, but they sometimes brought the fight in with them to Police HQ. Sometimes just their bleeding carcasses.

Never a dull moment. I never could work down in radio because I couldn't type fast enough.

There is no longer a desk sergeant. I miss it.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    From a toxicology/pharmacology standpoint, Cannabis (marijuana) can cause hallucinations as a symtom of an overdose on it. Just because your average 'smoker does not routinely hallucinate when using cannabis does not mean that this symptom does not exist.

From my understanding of todays cannabis culture some of the product these mad scientists are growing in the basement will send a normal person to Mars. I am long time away from such things (played music way back in the age of Aquarius) but in discussions with some folks who indulge it is possible to hallucinate .

wabashman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Girlfriend works dispatch for our county, and she enjoys it. I'll go up and visit/hang out every once in a while when my schedule allows it. It can get busy at times, but to me it seems most of the calls are just cry baby people complaining about what a neighbor is doing. Best part for them is when the officers, both county and city start running traffic to annoy the dispatchers. Or so they think, since all the dispatchers actually enjoy running traffic.

But as for something I would/could/want to do...no. I could do it easily I feel after listening into the calls, but want to, no thanks. Way to many dumb annoying people calling in that I would want to just tell shut up and stop being a baby.

Top Bottom