• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    I'm having trouble with my Taurus 9mm 1911 not extracting spent cases. It seems to get worse after I've put a few mags through it also. Any advice?

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I would check the extractor. It could be broken or just not properly tuned. If it's not broken, take the slide off and slide a live round under the extractor from the bottom. Slide it into place as it would be if it were ready to be fired. Then shake the slide. Don't go crazy, just give it a little jostle. If the round holds tight, it's not your extractor. If it falls easily, or won't hold period, you need to have your extractor tuned.

It could be as simple as putting a little more bend in it or, it could need a pad filed down so that the extractor can seat further on the rim of the shell casing.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I would check the extractor. It could be broken or just not properly tuned. If it's not broken, take the slide off and slide a live round under the extractor from the bottom. Slide it into place as it would be if it were ready to be fired. Then shake the slide. Don't go crazy, just give it a little jostle. If the round holds tight, it's not your extractor. If it falls easily, or won't hold period, you need to have your extractor tuned.

It could be as simple as putting a little more bend in it or, it could need a pad filed down so that the extractor can seat further on the rim of the shell casing.

this, great advice.

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    Oh WOW, its not even close! I slide the round under the extracter and there is a big gap between the rim and it. Could it have one for a .45 in it by mistake? Should I send it back to Taurus?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Not one for a .45, just needs to be tuned. pull it out, add a smal bend and put it back in and recheck... do this over and over in SMALL increments until it holds the round secure.

you can also add a small bevel on all sides of the bottom of the extractor claw, this will make the round pop in behind the extractor easier and not slow the slide down as much during this part of the cycling operation.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    there is not ONE part on a .45 that does not need at least a small bit of human interjection to get it to work 100 percent. the extractor is no exception. there is no such thing as a "drop in" part. they all need to be tuned by the operator to some extent.

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    I'll try to put some pressure on it and see if that fixes it. Thanks for the great advise, I don't know why I never thought of that myself but thats why I come on here:ingo:

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    I put a little tweak on it and it looks like that may have done it! I can't wait to take it to work tomorrow and see if that fixed it. Thank you guys so much:rockwoot:

sbatten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Somewhere in Shelby Co.
    I put a little tweak on it and it looks like that may have done it! I can't wait to take it to work tomorrow and see if that fixed it. Thank you guys so much:rockwoot:
    Dude, do you like work for the US Postal Service? You need to take it to the range to try out......I know those people behind the counter at the post office act like dead zombies, but I don't think they are! :laugh:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would also look at the extractor itself. The last one I had installed in one of my guns was too long (not the hook, but the extractor itself) and the hook was too long as well.

Top Bottom