• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I'm working on refilling the coffers and find that I'm out of 9mm bullets. I have been loading lead 125gr RN for many years with no complaints. To be honest though I think I chose this weight because that is what was available when I started. Now that I'm going to have to order more I'm considering trying something different. My thoughts are to try a lighter bullet 115gr maybe.

What are you 9mm shooters using for plinking at steel, paper, bowling pins, black walnuts lying on the ground... etc? What is it you like about a lighter bullet or a heavier bullet for general plinking?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    We gennerally shoot 115 grain pulled mil bullets I bought twenty + years ago for almost nothing.. About 35 bucks a narrow 30 cal ammo can full.
    If the kid or I shoot a match with 9mm we shoot 147 +- grain cast lead.
    It does a more reliable job knocking down the steel.
    The heavier bullets tend to shoot softer and are more comfortable to blast a afternoon away.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    We load alot of 115g cast, but that's because that's the mold we inherited.
    If I'm buying bullets for plinking, its generally 124g plated.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    For those of you that choose plated or jacketed bullets. Is it mostly to avoid leading? I have a good source for good hard lead bullets, leading is not an issue presently.

I know these seem like noob questions, but I've been doing the same thing for so long that I don't remember trying any other options. Why not take advantage of other peoples experience...

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Personally I have never shot a plated or powder coated bullet in a pistol..
    And with Pistols I have never had a leading problem.
    8" and 10" Mag revolvers, different story.
    The only jacketed bullets I shoot in Pistols are pulled bullets that when I do buy nowdays I try to buy in bulk to make the cost as cheap as I can get them. Sometimes I split a big order with a friend or brother.
    We shoot more of our own cast in handguns than jacketed bullets. I'm particular on what bullet lube I use with cast bullets. I will buy local bullets ( Indiana bullet co ) when they have a good sale and free shipping or I pick them up at a local show. Some cast bullets and certain powders tend to be smoky but sometimes that's just part of using cast bullets.
    Plus the smoke makes compensated Glocks look like a Choo Choo Train.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    For those of you that choose plated or jacketed bullets. Is it mostly to avoid leading? I have a good source for good hard lead bullets, leading is not an issue presently.

I know these seem like noob questions, but I've been doing the same thing for so long that I don't remember trying any other options. Why not take advantage of other peoples experience...

I shoot X-treme plated bullets.. not because of the "leading problem" as all you have to do is clean your firearm afterwards, but because I haven't gotten into casting bullets and I really don't plan to. The cost of purchasing plated over lead projectiles is about the same cost if not cheaper (depending on where you buy them from) and I don't have to deal with the issues of handling lead or having it lying around for the kids to get into. Plus I hate having to clean my pistol after every range session. I'm sure if I had a casting setup and plenty of lead, I'd just cast them and save even more money, but the overhead price compared to how much I shoot would take a long time to break even.

Oh, and my recipe is 115gr over 4.0 titegroup. I just use that weight because they are cheaper and shoot just as good as the heavier bullets. Now, if I ever go suppressed, I'll be jumping up to the 147's... but that's hoping they take suppressor's off the NFA list.

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I usually load 9mm 124 grain Berry plated bullets. I've also used X-treme; they are both fine. Although the brands are very similar, I think the Berry bullets have less variance in weight.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    The cast bullets I've used for years are made with something called Jake's hard purple lube. I don't think it smokes too bad, but again I have not compared it to anything in years. I'm a little shocked to see x-treme and berry's plated bullets are so cheap. Not having to handle the lead does sound like a plus. May have to try a small order of some different sizes and work some loads up.

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I been shooting 147 they shoot soft and straight for steel and can knock down a bowling pin load them up myself

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    No reason to deal with lead anymore when plated is about the same price. You will save money on cleaning supplies and time wasted scrubbing. I shoot plated Berrys, Rainier, or the like. What ever is cheap and on sale. I actually have not had to clean a pistol all summer. Shoot and throw it back in the bag.

For informal plinking 115 works. Anything else 124 or for dropping steel plates 147.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'm loading 9mm for 3 different handguns and a 995 carbine, so I bought a few different projectiles and went to work finding a load that is suitable in all of them. Since the 9x19 Parabellum was originally designed with 124gr bullets, I reasoned that my best chance of getting all 4 guns to cycle properly and shoot accurately was with that bullet weight. Once you find something that works in a handgun, why mess with it, as long as your needs haven't changed.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I Saved this thread because I'm just getting into 9mm.
    I've noticed that some factory 9mm 115gr just doesn't group in my G19. 135 and 147gr will basically punch one hole in the paper at 10 yds.
    I've loaded for .45acp, .41Mag, and .44 mag, and a few rifle calibers so loading might be the way to go on the 9 for accuracy/SD.

Top Bottom