• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    ive been loooking into it and according to my calculations the cost would be roughly half but a good proggresive press (dillon or rcbs) with all the goodies will run over a grand so would have to shoot alot to make it worth it but thats a good thing!

You dont need a progressive unless you plan on making 10,000+ rounds a year.

Below is what i am running, and i can easily run 1,000 rounds in about 5 hours, (never ran that many at a time but i can run 100 rounds in less than 30 minutes.) A turret would be your best bet. Those progressives are nice but there is A LOT of stuff going on at once for a beginner. A lot of poeple say to start with a single stage. The turret i think is the best option. You can run it as a single stage and still have all your dies set up and ready to go with turn of the turret.

Change Currency: USD Currency: USD

Lee Deluxe Turret Press Reloading KitItem : IK - 215922 CAL/GAUG:4 HOLE TURRET KITAvailability: In Stock Qty:

Reg:$119.99Sale:$109.99 each
    Price: $109.99 Remove See what other customers bought with this item View All Restrictions That May Apply

Lee Carbide Pistol DiesItem : IK - 210545 CAL/GAUG:9MM LUGERAvailability: In Stock Qty:

Reg:$29.99Sale:$25.99 each
    Price: $25.99 Remove See what other customers bought with this item View Item Notes

View All Restrictions That May Apply

Cabela's Case TumblerItem : IK - 212867 CAL/GAUG:MODEL 400Availability: In Stock Qty:

$49.99 each
    Price: $49.99 Remove See what other customers bought with this item
    Cabela's Electronic CaliperItem : IK - 214967 Availability: Backordered Estimated Ship Date in 1-2 weeks Qty:

Reg:$29.99Sale:$21.99 each
    Price: $21.99 Remove See what other customers bought with this item View All Restrictions That May Apply

Cabela's Bullet PullerItem : IK - 214931 Availability: In Stock Qty:

Reg:$19.99
    Sale:$15.99 eachPrice: $15.99 Remove

TOTAL:$223.95

For $100 you can get enough componets to run 1,000 9mm rounds so with that added on you have a grand total of $323.95 and you have everything you need and 1,000 rounds to start loading.

Total price with everything--------------------------------- $323.95

Total price to buy 1,000 precision deltas remanufactured ammo $286.56

Thats only $37.39 more than buying their ammo. So you've almost already paid for your reloading equipment within your first 1,000 rounds.

Of course theres always more little things that you will want to pick up, but the above will get you turning out rounds in no time. Oh yea dont forget a couple good reloading manuals!

Last edited:

DestructionDan

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    IN KY
    What is a good low cost powder for starting reloading
    I'll start with FMJ then cast lead down the road.
    With my part of the tax check I plan to buy everything to reload.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I use w231, alot of people also use Unique

w231 burns cleaner, and meters better from what i hear.

---Hey destructiondan,

Do you live in SC? If so where at? I'm moving to Mt. Pleasant, SC next year....

Last edited:

dominicandemon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    St. Augustine, Florida
    If hes reloading only to save money on 9mm, Hes not going to be saving anything if hes buying FMJ bullets, at least not enough to bother buying a press and everything. If hes reloading to make match grade ammo or being able to practice with lots of JHP ammo then theres money to be saved in doing it.

When i started i didn't want to even think about using lead bullets. Finally someone on here convinced me to try some MBC bullets and thats all i have bought since. they shoot just the same as FMJ for me. If your reloading to save money theres no reason not to buy the cheapest bullets available. Like i said theres not much money to be saved using FMJ bullets but there is money to be saved using Lead and JHP bullets.

On 45acp theres tons of money to be saved using any bullet. Even by trying to buy remanufactured ammo online to save money, you will be saving tons more money by doing it yourself.

If you check out precision deltas site they sell bullets and they also sell their own remanufactured ammo using their bullets. Check out the prices.

45 Auto 230gr FMJ (reused brass) (Includes 21.88 shipping to zip 46563) 1000 $399.28

If i buy bullets from them and reload my own i can make the EXACT same ammunition for only $163.29 per 1,000

If i use lead i can get the price down to $137.29 per 1,000

9mm cost is...
    9mm Luger 124gr FMJ (reused brass) (Includes 15.16 shipping to zip 46563) 1000 $286.56

If i buy bullets from them and reload my own i can make the EXACT same ammunition for only $119.57 per 1,000

If i use lead i can get that price down to $97.57 per 1,000

So while there is money to be saved, theres a lot of money to be saved going with lead. You can buy a decent reloading setup with everything you need for a couple hundred dollars and buy the supplies to reload 1,000 bullets for roughly the same price as buying their 1,000 rounds of ammo.

Thank you for you excellent response.

I am almost certain I will be reloading, not sure how soon. I also read the follow up with the reloading equipment recommendation and for $323.95 to get started, it is relatively cheap, considering I was going to spend $220 some dollars on 1000 rounds.

Also, with the price of .45 ammunition, I had no idea you could save that much money reloading your own.

Last edited:

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    From what I see the single stage presses run around $100-125 but that does not include the powder dropper and some other accessories. A Hornady progressive press is $400. What else besides the appropriate dies is needed to get running with the $400 press? I keep seeing $1000 to set up a progressive press but am not sure where that money goes?

bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    I got a used 550b with everything needed including 2 sets dies for $50.00 and an afternoon of helping a friend move. I have found that it doesn't save me any money but it allows me to shoot more for the same amount of money.

Top Bottom