• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I'm going to the gunshow, but I am afraid of taking multiple .338 Lapua hits to my back while my partner is assembling the Handi Rifle under cover of my armored briefcase. I've taken to doubling up on my vests and duct taping plates directly to my torso. Is there a better (and less painful during removal) option for this situation? :D

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I'm going to the gunshow, but I am afraid of taking multiple .338 Lapua hits to my back while my partner is assembling the Handi Rifle under cover of my armored briefcase. I've taken to doubling up on my vests and duct taping plates directly to my torso. Is there a better (and less painful during removal) option for this situation? :D

Yes there is, drive your APC straight through the walls of the building and do your shopping that way!

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008

Less painfull, maybe.. Use alligator clips and hang them from your nipples!

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Yea the Zylon ones were around 850 to 900 bucks in 2003 dollars. They were a dream to wear. I often wondered if they were too good to be true. Seems they were. But after the failures the government put pressure on the makers to warranty them. What I hated about the replacement was the carriers. They had four bottom strap and the armor panels would bunch up about mid shift. I have a 2nd Chance feather lite now and I really like it. Nice armor.

And for anyone in LE,reserve or paid, your agency is now required by law to provide you with armor. They are also required to replace them before warranty exasperation. It is a shame that it took a law to make it happen. Even so I would bet that some places are still not complying.

Yeah I kinda knew they were too good to be true, I guess its good I hesistated. Is that state or Federal law?

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Kevlar is a synthetic fiber and DOES decompose. As it gets older the decomposition rate increases. Heat and moisture are BIG enemies of vests. I'm no chemist, but there was a very good and lengthy write up about it over on Olegs site some time ago. It was mostly greek to me, not being a chemist and all, but the votes are in and the experts say 2-3 years is all it is effective for. It MAY still work after that, but also MAY not.

During this summer, that's all mine has seen is heat and moisture. I have a new one coming but I understand with the new NIJ standards they are very hot. They are covered in a thick sheet of plastic...yuck.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole

I think you're OK: Glock doesn't make a model chambering .338 Lapua.

Top Bottom