• ...and so much more!
  • danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I took Shay's Flashlight Combatives last Saturday at Mindset Laboratory, along with his Intro to Force on Force course on Sunday. I wanted to write a review sooner, but I had to take a little time to absorb everything I learned over the course of last weekend.

My primary reason for taking the Mindset Labs Flashlight Combatives course is relatively simple, I wanted to broaden my spectrum of personal defense to cover those situations where guns and knives aren't allowed. Although I carry my handguns and knives wherever I can, there are instances where laws and circumstances prevent me from carrying either.

I found Shay's teaching style to be very appealing, as he maintained a professional and SAFE learning environment throughout the course of the entire weekend without being too uptight and overbearing as some training can be. He jokes just enough to keep things lighthearted as well as keeping trainees on their toes without getting sidetracked himself. Minimal lecture time when compared to the hands-on practical application portion of the class allowed myself along with fellow trainees to immediately practice the same techniques we just learned on an assailant that provided some real-life resistance. In other words, what I consider an ideal learning situation.

Having never taken any training that wasn't dedicated to the use and/or practical application of a type of firearm before, I wasn't quite sure what to expect of his course. I've used flashlights for as long as I can remember, and didn't really view them as much more than a way to see in the dark. However, after taking Shay's class and applying a few key points of instruction, I now view my flashlight as more than a tool for illumination, it now has a practical place in my array of self defense tools as an effective weapon and conflict deterrent. I'm now much more confident in my abilities to defend myself as well as my family and friends in areas where I once felt "naked" without my handgun and/or edged weapons.

However, I feel that I learned a lesson that expanded far beyond my newfound abilities to properly use my flashlight as a personal defense tool. The "mindset" portion of Shay's instruction is as equally important to one's personal safety and self defense. He promotes situational awareness over the typical complacent "zoned-out-staring-at-your-shoes-or-cellphone" attitude that so many people possess. While this may not sound like a novel concept to some, (especially those of us who carry often) simply paying attention to your surroundings can play an important part in avoiding unnecessary self-defense scenarios.

Bottom line, we all find ourselves in situations where we aren't able to carry the most ideal equipment for personal defense. Maybe you or your spouse doesn't feel comfortable with the responsibility of carrying a firearm. This course will teach you how to better defend yourself and others by using a tool that doesn't intimidate anyone or present a threat to others.

Do yourself and your loved ones a favor, give Shay eight hours of your Saturday or Sunday, you won't regret it.

Last edited:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of this class.

Having a gun and learning gunfighting skills are important, but there are times when even the most vigilant among us will be without a gun. If you spend any time on commercial aircraft, court houses and other non-permissive environments (especially with metal detectors) you need some defensive tactics and skills that don't rely on guns and knives.

If anyone is interested I will be teaching this class again on Saturday September 17.

Top Bottom