• ...and so much more!
  • danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    * Note - Please see my A.A.R/Review of Shay's Flashlight Combatives course before reading this review, as some of the basic learning principles pertaining to Shay and the training environment he promotes and maintains carry over and I don't want to sound repetitive.

I took Shay's Intro to Force on Force course so I would know how to handle myself if I were ever in a self-defense situation where I needed to actually draw my pistol and fire upon an assailant. Like many of you here on INGO, I carry my pistol daily for the safety and security of my loved ones and myself. I can comfortably say before I took this course that I had many preconceived notions as to how said scenario would play out should I ever need to shoot someone in self-defense.

I learned many important aspects of safe gun-handling, including safe draw-strokes and re-holstering that minimize or eliminate the possibility of accidentally shooting yourself or others in the process. This may sound very basic to many of you, from avid "gun guys" who have spent a considerable amount of time around firearms to the shooting novice, but it's importance can't be stressed enough.

The next skill that Shay focuses on is properly drawing your firearm, and maintaining the best possible retention of your firearm depending upon your distance from your attacker. Again, this may sound basic to many folks, but have you considered how difficult it might be to hold on to your gun if someone is actively trying to disarm you? I know that thought never crossed my mind with enough weight for me to actually consider it until I was placed in that situation, thankfully in a training environment.

Once safety and drawing techniques were hammered out, the focus of the course turns to firing on a static target with a converted Glock pistol firing "simunition" marking rounds. This was a different (and powerful) experience to me, as I had never intently aimed something as realistic as this converted Glock at another human before, nor had I had one pointed at me. Once we had our practice rounds shooting at one another, experiencing both sides of the gun, we then progressed into shooting dynamic targets at closer distances.

Once everyone had a good handle on everything we'd learned for the day and had ample opportunity to correct any mistakes they were making during the instructional and exercise portions, we were then ran one at a time through a real-life scenario that tied together all of the concepts we had covered.

Without giving away any details, Shay and his crew do an amazing job of conceptualizing and implementing a realistic environment and shooting scenario. I can only describe it as a powerful and humbling experience that really shows you your strengths and weaknesses in a way that very few things can, short of an actual shooting experience. Watching my classmates go through the same scenario one after the other after I went allowed me to focus on what I had done correctly, as well as where I made my mistakes.

So, in conclusion, if you carry a firearm with the intent and/or purpose of protecting yourself and others, you would most certainly benefit from this course. I highly recommend it, and personally guarantee that you won't be disappointed in Shay's training.

I am eagerly awaiting the upcoming Dynamic Force on Force Scenarios course that is coming up on July 31st, hopefully my schedule allows my attendance.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Thank you for the thoughtful review. As I stated at the end of class, if you could step back and see where everyone started the day and where they finished, they came a very long way. There's no way around the fact that this class is an ego check. It will teach you lessons that you can't learn using live fire.

It really was great to have you in class and I look forward to training with you again.

What happened to Rhubarb37?

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Thank you for the thoughtful review. As I stated at the end of class, if you could step back and see where everyone started the day and where they finished, they came a very long way. There's no way around the fact that this class is an ego check. It will teach you lessons that you can't learn using live fire.

It really was great to have you in class and I look forward to training with you again.

What happened to Rhubarb37?

He's registered as Rhubarb69, I PM'ed him last night to let him know I posted the review so he could chime in with his thoughts/opinions.

Top Bottom