• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    A buddy of mine is moving to Indiana from another state. He has several guns that he legally purchased through private sales or at gun shows in his current state of residence. (no transfer papers needed at the time of purchase)

I know you need to go through a FFL to transfer ownership for purchases over state lines, but what about when you already own them and move across state lines?
    The question is this.... does he need to do anything to continue legally owning these guns once he moves to Indiana?

Thanks!

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    He needs to turn all his guns over to the local pd before moving out of state.

Seriously as long as he doesnt live in a communist state it shouldnt be a problem packing them up and driving to indiana just make sure their unloaded and any ammo is locked in a seperate compartment

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    He needs to do nothing but transport them legally!
    If he intends to carry or shoot handguns, then recommend that he gets the Indiana LTCH!

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    When I moved here I brought a truck load of handguns and long guns and didn't ask permission from anybody. That was 16 years ago and no one's come for me yet. And he DOES need to get a LTCH just for the hell of it.

IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Cool........That's all I did when I moved here, but he wanted me to ask anyway. I guess he's a little paranoid :nuts:

I appreciate it........Thanks!

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    he must surrender the guns before he leaves his current location...tell me where he is and ill help him....lol

he's fine...there is no law on the books as long as he transports unloaded

unless he is going through ohio...dont know how true or the condition of it but a guy i worked with told me ohio considers a loaded magazine a loaded firearm...just what was told to me dont know the truth of the matter

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Being a little paranoid is healthy. :cool: And I have met cops in several different States that actually believed that a loaded magazine is a lethal weapon.

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    ship the guns if he is crossing any of those states such illinois, i go shoot to different states, ship few days before, get there use them in the state that honor indiana, then ship them back so i dont have to be dealing with state police if stop with a truck loaded.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    I feel sorry for your friend, he's moving to the land of corn and beans. Unless he's moving from a commie state or another land of corn and beans state.

IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Okay.... I stand corrected. A little paranoia IS healthy. :draw:

In Ohio where I grew up, the officer has a ton of room to interpret firearm laws. I knew a guy that was arrested because his unloaded rifle was not in a case and the action was closed. (in his vehicle) Now, the guy was probably a huge jerk to the cop, but that should never be illegal.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    ship the guns if he is crossing any of those states such illinois, i go shoot to different states, ship few days before, get there use them in the state that honor indiana, then ship them back so i dont have to be dealing with state police if stop with a truck loaded.

Or don't listen to this.... bad advice, dude.

He's perfectly fine transporting guns through Illinois, so long as they're unloaded, encased and not immediately accessible (in a trunk, back of truck, or locked cases in SUV).

I know Illinois is a big bogeyman around here when it comes to transporting guns to/through (even though no one has first-hand experience with anything negative, just gunshop BS stories), but up until this past July, they actually had BETTER transport laws (for handguns) than Indiana had.

There's no need to spread rumor and false fear.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    B.S. gunshop stories, huh? Excuse me, I lived in the Glorious People's Democratic Republic of Illinois for 12 years. They have lot of cops in Illinois just like the cop in the Canton Ohio video. They love to set up roadblocks and search cars. Anyone who wants to test it out, be my guest. But don't think for a minute that the horror stories you have heard are B.S. gunshop myths.

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    B.S. gunshop stories, huh? Excuse me, I lived in the Glorious People's Democratic Republic of Illinois for 12 years. They have lot of cops in Illinois just like the cop in the Canton Ohio video. They love to set up roadblocks and search cars. Anyone who wants to test it out, be my guest. But don't think for a minute that the horror stories you have heard are B.S. gunshop myths.

If I'm transporting legally, if you want to assault me/yell at me/taze me...do it, I'll enjoy the payday. You want to be a LEO but not know the laws and then try being the judge and the jury on the side of the road, enjoy the impending lawsuit. Plain and simple. Want to setup roadblocks and search me without a reason, we'll wait til a warrant shows up. Want to hold me at the side of the road trying to get me to allow you to search or trying to get me to incriminate myself, we'll play the game for a reasonable amount of time with me answering "Officer, am I free to go?" and when you have nothing...I'll politely say, have a good day and better luck on the next one and be on my way.

Ignorance of the law doesn't work for us and it doesn't work for LEOs either. If you're fine allowing illegal searches, don't complain when they happen to you. If you're going to travel across a state, know the interstate travel laws and if you can, keep them on hand for the trip. Follow the steps needed to transport legally and enjoy the drive.

Top Bottom