• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

KokuRyu77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    New Palestine
    I personally won't carry a handgun with a manual safety or a grip safety, despite having done so for many years. What I learned in both training and real world is it's very very difficult to get to 100% at deactivating the safety under adverse conditions. It's quite easy to get it right every time when you're standing on a static range with not much else to occupy your mind. It's quite another to do it when you're entangled with another human who's trying to kill you, when you're injured, when you're tired, when your grip is compromised, etc.

I've had my thumb broken at the base during a hands on fight. I've seen the gunfight losers who thought they had total mastery of the safety but didn't and took bullets because of it.

Glock with an SCD is my current answer. I have a 43X with SCD AIWB carry as I type this as my "sitting around the house" option. Prior to that, DA/SA Sigs. I'm not real concerned about consistent trigger, DA/SA is easy to learn. I also don't care about "crisp" triggers or audible resets for a fighting gun. It's not slow fire, I'm not riding the reset, and I sure AF won't hear a click. I know from experience how much auditory exclusion effects me.
    Well ok then..... you have more about you and your experience?? Holy cow!!
    I've been missing driving a manual car again, but consider if I have [another] shoulder surgery, Or something happens to my knee, etc. However, I've never thought about getting a broken thumb or whatnot.
    And seeing as you've said you've seen and been in situations on how things could really go, it's... enlightening for lack of better term.

Thanks for your input!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well ok then..... you have more about you and your experience?? Holy cow!!
    I've been missing driving a manual car again, but consider if I have [another] shoulder surgery, Or something happens to my knee, etc. However, I've never thought about getting a broken thumb or whatnot.
    And seeing as you've said you've seen and been in situations on how things could really go, it's... enlightening for lack of better term.

Thanks for your input!

I've posted most of it here somewhere or other. This sticky thread is a reasonable place to start: https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/random-violence-stats-ive-compiled.396940/

Short version of relevant to the thread experience, been in law enforcement since 2006, spent 6 years as a detective in a major felony office, currently a LT in a major felony office. Been on both sides of the use of deadly force investigation. Got to partner with Massad Ayoob and several other real experts to collaborate on a fun project, still keep in touch with some industry contacts. Learned a few things, including learning what I didn't know early on. Learned from my mistakes and from others' mistakes, the second one is less painful.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So what's your brand then? Glock?... im assuming.

Yeah, but largely based on it being my issued gun and then the availability of the SCD.

I own more DA/SA Sigs than anything and carried those for years. Actually own more P220s alone than Glocks.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Magpul just announced yesterday they are shipping Sig P320 mags!!
    Hope they are better than their crap tier range-only Glock mags. Will wait and see.

Although at $34.95, not sure why I'd pick these over the very reliable P320 ACT mags available for about $23 each.

P320.PNG

KokuRyu77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    New Palestine
    I've posted most of it here somewhere or other. This sticky thread is a reasonable place to start: https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/random-violence-stats-ive-compiled.396940/

Short version of relevant to the thread experience, been in law enforcement since 2006, spent 6 years as a detective in a major felony office, currently a LT in a major felony office. Been on both sides of the use of deadly force investigation. Got to partner with Massad Ayoob and several other real experts to collaborate on a fun project, still keep in touch with some industry contacts. Learned a few things, including learning what I didn't know early on. Learned from my mistakes and from others' mistakes, the second one is less painful.
    Oh.... ok then.... thats umm.... fair enough....

Edit: Wowzers. Lol

Last edited:

KokuRyu77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    New Palestine
    @BehindBlueI's
    So what I'm gathering from this poll is that really a Glock with SCD is top choice.
    After that.... Sig, CZ, HK, etc with hammers but no safety close second.
    Whichever one at this point is what I'll prefer; get something with a hammer that's DA/SA or Glock and hope to get an SCD.

Save the 1911/2011 for shooting at a range/competition (someday), one of the above for shooting at badguys.... essentially?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    @BehindBlueI's
    So what I'm gathering from this poll is that really a Glock with SCD is top choice.
    After that.... Sig, CZ, HK, etc with hammers but no safety close second.
    Whichever one at this point is what I'll prefer; get something with a hammer that's DA/SA or Glock and hope to get an SCD.

Save the 1911/2011 for shooting at a range/competition (someday), one of the above for shooting at badguys.... essentially?

It's the easy answer, for sure. No machine is 100%, but you've got about the best odds in the industry of it running correctly out of the box. Price to quality ratio is there. Easy AF to get all the various what-nots one needs with a gun (spare mags, recoil spring assemblies, holsters, etc) anywhere you go.

Ernest Langdon is still making the SCDs after the originator gave the business over due to other demands on his time and talent. Gen 5 SCDs are in stock on his webpage at the moment, and I think he said slim line will be before too long.

Some guys obviously love their 1911s, but very few professional face shooting entities use them any longer. You pay more, you need more armorer support, the manual safety issue, etc. It'll still work, it's just more to futz with for no real gain for the uses we're talking about.

KokuRyu77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    New Palestine
    It's the easy answer, for sure. No machine is 100%, but you've got about the best odds in the industry of it running correctly out of the box. Price to quality ratio is there. Easy AF to get all the various what-nots one needs with a gun (spare mags, recoil spring assemblies, holsters, etc) anywhere you go.

Ernest Langdon is still making the SCDs after the originator gave the business over due to other demands on his time and talent. Gen 5 SCDs are in stock on his webpage at the moment, and I think he said slim line will be before too long.

Some guys obviously love their 1911s, but very few professional face shooting entities use them any longer. You pay more, you need more armorer support, the manual safety issue, etc. It'll still work, it's just more to futz with for no real gain for the uses we're talking about.
    Thanks!

KokuRyu77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    New Palestine
    What platform do most LEO and private carriers carry?
    I'd vote Glock.... which is a big up for mag compatability. Chances are greater, if something serious goes down in a supermarket, someone else would have a Glock that mag swapping could be done..... granted the reality of that happening is likely less than .05% if I would guess.

Edit: Actually, 0.0526% of taking the data from BehindBluel's post (link above). Highest amount of shots (11) happened once from the 19 incidents... thus 0.0526%. But no reloads so maybe the whole magazine compatability concept is a wash in reality?

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd vote Glock.... which is a big up for mag compatability. Chances are greater, if something serious goes down in a supermarket, someone else would have a Glock that mag swapping could be done..... granted the reality of that happening is likely less than .05% if I would guess.

Never know when you might need to collect dead guy guns, magazines and such? Freak chance, but why not bank on compatibility? Only makes sense, right?

Those reasons and more are why I went with the Glock 19/17/45/26 platform some years back, when leaving the 1911 platform behind.

Also aftermarket abundance. Support gear availability. Big stick availability. More recently, PCC magazine compatibility.

:@ya:

Top Bottom