A good bicycle as part of a SHTF strategy.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Talk about raising an old thread from the dead!

Anyways, I think walking or a mountain bike will be the only viable way to travel if things really went south. Travelling any kind of road in a vehicle is just an ambush waiting to happen. If you want to be safe you'll have to stay off the roads. I've also reconsidered the whole idea of bugging out. If things really got bad where are you going to go that isn't in equal or worse shape?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Talk about raising an old thread from the dead!

Anyways, I think walking or a mountain bike will be the only viable way to travel if things really went south. Travelling any kind of road in a vehicle is just an ambush waiting to happen. If you want to be safe you'll have to stay off the roads. I've also reconsidered the whole idea of bugging out. If things really got bad where are you going to go that isn't in equal or worse shape?

The answer to that question depends upon the reason you're having to leave where you are and the cascading hazards associated with that reason. It's reasonable to consider what sorts of circumstances would cause you to "bugout" rather than sheltering in place; then consider how widespread the conditions you're fleeing might be and consider what bugout locations you might be able to preplan for and what situations might arise to cause you to have to change your plans. If you're fleeing the results of an economic meltdown, one place might be as good as another; if you're fleeing the aftermath of civil disorder, some communities might be a better bet to find help than others. If we have a limited nuclear exchange, you'll want to know where the fallout is going before you decide to evacuate.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The only way to make this truly viable is to be doing it daily year round. How many of you could go out and get on that bicycle today at 0 degrees actual? You don't just bug out by bicycle this time of year without a little preparation and experience. I ride year round, but it has nothing to do with SHTF, I am just a little off.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've been into riding for years, but recently decided to incorporate it into my SHTF strategy. No need for gas. Can go places a car can't. Better than walking!

Might look for a good deal on a cart or one of the baby carrier things to go with it.

The bike baby carriers can be found cheap once the kids outgrow them and hold stuff better than babies.

Exactly why the wife and I (+ 3 kids) each have a bicycle (the wife and I have mountain bikes) and we kept the kid carrier so as to have the ability to transport a few basic things with us!

With my parents living just 9.95 miles from our house in town...and them being on a 100+ acre farm in the country + stocked pond + w/24 acres of woods + river bottom on 2 sides...we have the ability to pedal there if needed!

If vehicles are 'down'...I have a good feeling that a diesel tractor + flatbed wagon would go a long way toward a trip back to town (if needed and able) to get a fe more things would work just fine!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I travel as part of my job, sometimes long distances. Acquiring a bicycle to get home 7 or 800 miles is always on my mind. The rental bikes in DC and many other cities are very strong and durable. Unfortunately, I can't bring one with me on every trip.

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    Would it make sense that if you need this bike to travel others that didn't plan ahead will need it also. Would a really good lock of some kind be in order also? The thieves and dirtbags and unprepared will always be lurking nearby?

Morgan88

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_infantry
    ^^^ here is some interesting info on the bicycle.
    I have been working on and building my own bikes for awhile now. There is an excellent used bike shop in downtown LaPorte too, right next to Roxy Music...
    It's called "The Bike Shop" they literally have 100's of used bicycles, all shapes, sizes, and models. The owner is Frank 312-282-7163

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm a bicycle guy and this would without a doubt be my main transportation if SHTF. I have a really nice mountain bike that would be perfect, but I got to thinking, I cannot service the whole thing. I build and work on antique bikes and know how to do any service on them, but the new stuff requires special tools and equipment. Thinking about selling it and just outfitting one of my custom builds to fill its spot. Virtually bulletproof and very easy to maintain.

Top Bottom