A Hoosier schuetzen rifle is found, saved and displayed....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Technically black powder but a long arm as well.....The most extensive book on them doesn't have southern Indiana listed as having these schuetzenfests ...there was one maker of these rifles who lived in Louisville but no listing of a club in Louisville...mine is plainer than most...iron furniture and the mold that came with is about .38, maybe .40 caliber...the rear sight seems to have glass in it...the front post has a bend at a 90 degree angle in which to set the bullseye on...the trigger breaks at about a half pound...it can only be fired after setting the rear trigger...there is no half cock feature...the stock is walnut with a horn nose cap...weight is about 15 pounds.....the furniture is iron and browned....

Firearms that came to be in the USA came in three flavors: self defense...hunting...war....But then a wave of German immigrants came to the Midwest and showed us there maybe another reason to develop a new kind of rifle....

Germans: hear me out...Schuetzenfest.....

Americans: we're listening

Germans: rifles...targets...beer...brats....

Americans: stop...you had us at rifles...

1703741805136.png

1703741786981.png

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    What makes it a Hoosier rifle? Made here or shot here? Or is it because it's on display here?
    They should bring this contest to Strausenfest. It's a lot more fun than tug-of-war.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    If I remember at the next Tipton show maybe John Shipper/Supper? Will be there.
    Rifles like that are right up his alley, he sells high end black powder like what you have.
    He's also an engraver. Very interesting man to speak with.
    Neat rifle, now shoot it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    What makes it a Hoosier rifle? Made here or shot here? Or is it because it's on display here?
    They should bring this contest to Strausenfest. It's a lot more fun than tug-of-war.

It was weird...I thought maybe Illinois but then I found this pic rolled up stuck in the barrel....(just kidding..)

It came out of an old house in New Albany along with with an 1890 Winchester made in 1893, a 1892 Winchester and a Remington .22 rolling block...as many will attest southern Indiana is very "German" (Mellencamp's, Huber's, Stumler's, Keislers, Koetters, etc...names even known up in Indy near Canada)) They'd been hanging on the wall since this 90 year old was a kid...the house belonged to his grandfather....

The Winchester 1890 made in 1893...had signs of it being a shooting gallery rifle...you can tell where something had been soldered to the magazine thimbles and then removed...has the original barrel which is rare...most were changed out...but I imagine the worse the barrel, the better the profit for the Carny....

1703770676228.png

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    It was weird...I thought maybe Illinois but then I found this pic rolled up stuck in the barrel....(just kidding..)

It came out of an old house in New Albany along with with an 1890 Winchester made in 1893, a 1892 Winchester and a Remington .22 rolling block...as many will attest southern Indiana is very "German" (Mellencamp's, Huber's, Stumler's, Keislers, Koetters, etc...names even known up in Indy near Canada)) They'd been hanging on the wall since this 90 year old was a kid...the house belonged to his grandfather....

The Winchester 1890 made in 1893...had signs of it being a shooting gallery rifle...you can tell where something had been soldered to the magazine thimbles and then removed...has the original barrel which is rare...most were changed out...but I imagine the worse the barrel, the better the profit for the Carny....

View attachment 321751
    That's an understatement! My maternal grandparents (and their families) spoke only German until sometime in the 1920's, and even then spoke German at home and in public quite a bit until they died in the 1990's. When they did speak English it was very heavily accented.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    That's an understatement! My maternal grandparents (and their families) spoke only German until sometime in the 1920's, and even then spoke German at home and in public quite a bit until they died in the 1990's. When they did speak English it was very heavily accented.
    I thought everyone's grand parents spoke German.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am trying to remember but I shot a couple of high power off hand matches at a small club, I think it was near Plymouth. A man was shooting one of those Schuetzen rifles. Things like that look great in display, but when they are still spitting out spinning lead, that is pretty high on the cool scale.

Top Bottom