• ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Tomorrow I will be cleaning a Winchester 3030 lever action that has a littlebrust on the side. What would be the best way to clean it off?

Tia

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Yes, steel wool is absolutely fantastic at removing surface rust. If your item is valuable to collectors you should leave the finish alone though. If you decide to try and remove some rust, press very lightly on the wool, since it probably will take less pressure than expected. Too much pressure will result in abrasions, of course.

I have an old Remington 22lr bolt action, and the whole barrel has a rusty patina, but it is smooth, so I'm not trying to remove the rust, I just keep the whole thing coated in Eezox. It looks good with the rust, it makes it look its age.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    CorrosionX and 0000 steel wool will get rid of surface rust. Rub very lightly after applying the CorrosionX. CorrosionX with a soft cloth will remove very light surface rust and keep it from coming back.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    sell it to me cheap and let me do it :D ........ well you did say "best" way

Its nit mine to sell its been sitting in a gun case at my gf's moms house. I got nosey one day and took a look in the case. It broke my heart to see the rust, now I want to clean it up. I'm worried about removing the finish and ''ruining'' it

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Its nit mine to sell its been sitting in a gun case at my gf's moms house. I got nosey one day and took a look in the case. It broke my heart to see the rust, now I want to clean it up. I'm worried about removing the finish and ''ruining'' it

You really can't ruin it anymore, short of removing the rust with a grinder. There are a lot of good suggestions, but the first thing I would try would be a cleaning cloth and oil. It might take a lot of rubbing, but it sometimes works. I've actually removed the entire finish from an 870 Wingmaster (purposely), using nothing more than than a Scotch-brite pad. If the cloth and oil doesn't work then move on to the 0000 steel wool.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Another alternative is to rub a copper (not a later-model copper plated zinc) penny over the rust. On the few occasions I have had to remove a little rust, it worked beautifully without marring and was not conspicuous after finishing. Your mileage may vary, but it is worth a try. I wise lady who sells guns with her husband in Plainfield shared this pearl of wisdom with me several years back (no, I am not going to take credit for what was not my idea).

Top Bottom