• Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Came across this pic and thought it appropriate for this forum:

daughter.jpg

And I do teach my daughters to shoot (INGO thread with video posted a few months ago):

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/women-firearms/309972-range-my-teen-daughter-proud-her.html

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I agree that everyone should know how to shoot. IMHO, someone shouldn't get themselves into a position where a restraining order is needed. I know it's not unavoidable but people should be careful who they become involved with. :twocents:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I agree that everyone should know how to shoot. IMHO, someone shouldn't get themselves into a position where a restraining order is needed. I know it's not unavoidable but people should be careful who they become involved with. :twocents:

Sometimes people appear a certain way. It's not till later, when they're alone that the other side comes out.

Jerchap, I hope you also start teaching your daughter the law, at least when she is old enough to understand it.
    Congrats on teaching her to shoot safely.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Tell us how someone avoids a stalker? Sometimes the situation is not the fault of the person.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I like the idea of the OP. I would say teacher her to use the gun, run the gun in addition to shoot. Overall just be tough would be a good lesson as well.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Folks - I have first hand experience with this. You NEVER KNOW when someone or something will go screwy. In my case my daughter dated a guy - honor student, seemed to be a solid guy. They were 16 years old. Long story short - he didn't handle the break up well and made some threats that would make every dad in here's blood run cold. It - for all we can tell has now been dealt with, she's long since off to college (a long ways away), and all of that . But you still never know - there is NEVER any closure once threats are made, stalking situations happen, etc. My point is this: a restraining order shows that you tried to follow a rational path and alert the authorities to the problem, if you ever do (heaven forbid) have to put a stop to it by force. That is about all it truly accomplishes.

And I am still vigilant. Just in case.

And if for any reason , anyone here winds up in a similar situation, please PM me and I will be glad to share the lessons that I learned.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    IMHO, someone shouldn't get themselves into a position where a restraining order is needed. I know it's not unavoidable but people should be careful who they become involved with. :twocents:

That's a very easy thing for you to say from the cheap seats, people are not always what they appear to be. I thought I did all the right things: guy from a good family, good upbringing, acted normal enough, dated for a long while, got married like every good southern baptist girl does and day after the wedding the roller coaster began. Ugly things happen behind closed doors.

You judge the character of the man your daughter dates, teach her everything she needs to know to defend herself in every circumstance, and YOU will be the measure by which every man in her life should be weighed.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A restraining order is not going to save a life or prevent a beating, but it can be useful for prosecution and taking action by the police. If you have a restraining order and make a 911 call right away the police can arrive, and a crime has already been committed, and an arrest can be made even if nothing has happened. It can make things work out for the best. I have seen it. I have also seen a number situations where the restraining order has been dropped, and all forgiven before the cuts, bruises and broken bones have healed. So I agree Restraining Orders are not that effective, but they are not worthless either. If you have gone to the point of obtaining one that is a good first step. You need to do other things for the sake of safety and follow through on those things.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

People tend to forget that this works both ways. People automatically tend to defer to the woman, myself included, and admittedly for good reason. The assumption that a restraining order reflects some level of bad conduct on the part of the man, although that may be true in most cases, can also be a generalization that is not always true. As OP stated above, a restraining order is just a piece of paper and is not hard to get, it is not a conviction, it is not an arrest (yet). Just saying that men should also be cautious about who they choose to get involved with. By no means do men have a monopoly on lack of character.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Restraining orders are a joke. I have one against my oldest sons mother since she threatened to kill me, my wife, and kids. I have had multiple altercations with her since I got the restraining order against her. She has contacted me via text and left me threatening voice mails on my phone. Staulked me and drove by my house all the time. The police detective and prosecutor both agreed that she violated the restraining order. But the prosecutor would never try to file charges against her becuase it wasnt a "HOME RUN" case where they knew she would be found guilty and convicted.

Top Bottom