• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    While I was in my local gun store the other day I cut a deal for my dad who wanted a taurus slim line 40s&w and trade in his rossi stainless 357. After I got him a good deal thru davidson gun geinie he asked me if I send in the warenty cards. I told him hell yes you go thru the background check so the government knows you have the gun why not take advantage of the lifetime warrenty. Am i right they are not going to get any more info off you other than your email (I never put my social on a background check)

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have never filled one out but the website says so long as you complete the warranty card within 30 days. So whatever info is on the card would be what I would expect would be sufficient. If they asked for my soc sec # I would write "call me". Simply to avoid it falling into the wrong hands but that's just me. I will do a little digging and see what I can find.

Sidenote: In my prejudiced opinion, he shouldn't have traded the Rossi for the Taurus. Especially if it was a pre-Taurus Rossi.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    My social is available to anyone who wants to do even the smallest amount of digging...most peoples are these days. Thinking you are hiding your identity by withholding your SS is a pipe dream. Why do you think you are cleared to buy even if you don't use your SS? Because the ATF is sure they know exactly who you are. If there is a question they hold the sale till they are sure. All the SS does is help clear things up if someone else with the same name has a problematic history.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    My social is available to anyone who wants to do even the smallest amount of digging...most peoples are these days. Thinking you are hiding your identity by withholding your SS is a pipe dream. Why do you think you are cleared to buy even if you don't use your SS? Because the ATF is sure they know exactly who you are. If there is a question they hold the sale till they are sure. All the SS does is help clear things up if someone else with the same name has a problematic history.
    Thank you. There are so many :tinfoil: people in this country. The fact of the matter is, anyone that wants your info bad enough will have your info, wheter you want them to or not. Don't you guys watch NCIS?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I know this has nothing to do with your question but , like a car, you usually can do better to sell your old one instead of trading in! I love stainless 357s!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I told him hell yes you go thru the background check so the government knows you have the gun

Actually, all they ask is "what type of firearm" and there are only three possible responses; Handgun, Long gun, or Other (receiver, etc.).

No "make", no "model", no "serials", nothing like people tend to think.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Like already stated, when the FFL calls for the NICS check the only info as far as the firearm that is given is long gun, handgun, or other. No make or model, no serial number. They may know that you purchased a firearm, but not what it is. Whether or not they keep this info is up to you to believe or not.

The warranty cards would go to the manufacturer, not the feds or the batfe. Personally, I have never sent one in. No real reason, I just never have.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    If I buy a gun that I will genuinely keep forever, I might send I'm the card, otherwise I try to keep everything pristine. If the next owner might have even the slightest problem with it I want to leave them the opportunity to say "But I bought it years ago! I swear I'm the original owner, see I still have the registration card!"

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    You don't have to send in the card to get warranty coverage. That card is for market research purposes. All you need is a receipt or proof of purchase to get warranty coverage. If the manufacturer states that there is a warranty they're obligated to honor it whether you sent the stupid card in or not. They want you to think you have to just to get their marketing data. I have never sent one in. I also rip the tag off of my pillow that says "Do not remove under penalty of law". Come and get me pillow police.

Last edited:

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Very good point

Actually, all they ask is "what type of firearm" and there are only three possible responses; Handgun, Long gun, or Other (receiver, etc.).

No "make", no "model", no "serials", nothing like people tend to think.

I record all of my firearms model and serial numbers on the same sheet of paper in a seperate safe from my firearms. If I need that valuable information the only person or entity I can count on having it is myself. If I were to report a stolen firearm, the officer is going to radio in to dispatch, " Uh, yeah Donna can I get the serial number for John Smiths Springfield 1911A1 he purchased around 1995, its been stolen and we are going to retrieve it now!" The gunshops that record that information at purchase only have to hold it for so many years and thats only if it came from a shop. Its important information that needs to be recorded and probably duplicated by the gunowner

Top Bottom