• cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Suarez International,

Instructor; Craig Flaherty

This will not be a all inclusive AAR of the class. It might be a little hard for me to be objective.:):

The Class is technically called Basic AR-15 Gunfighting. There are two versions beyond this one. We started of course with safety and medical briefings. After some basic discussion on the equipment, stance, grip, and the like, we moved on to zeroing. Most of this went well, we did have one student with an issue. He had installed a new front sight and had not shot the rifle prior to the class. The sight wouldn't adjust properly and he alternated between using Kentucky windage and borrowing the Instructors rifle. Guys, shoot and test your gear before you bring it to class. Yes even then stuff happens, but at least it is good to start out right.

From here we went to ready positions, snap shooting, and proactive and reactive reloads. Next up was one of my favorites, shoulder transfers. All of our students had quite a bit of experience with the platform, but none but me had done this before. We ran through partial and full shoulder transfers long enough for the guys to get the hang of it. Then it was multiple target and failure to stop drills.

One of the reasons I took this class was to run through the malfunction drills again. I have used the AR platform before, both in the Army and at the PD, but those have both been some time ago. Guess what, nothing has changed, it is still much simpler to clear an AK.:D To end the day we had someone else put malfuntions in 5 or 6 guns and then a shooter would come to the line clear them and shoot them one at a time.

Day two started with a review of day one. Then it was on to positions shooting. Offhand, kneeling, squatting, sitting, and prone from various distances. On to shooting while moving, being a more basic class we limited this to lateral movement. For the rightys, going to the right presented little problem. Of course going to the left is a different story, this is where the shoulder transfers come in. Start with a partial transfer for a shot or two and then to a full transfer for a few more shots. Saw some light bulbs come on here. We went to transitions after this. Rifle runs dry, tansition to pistol. Of course this is largely distance dependent, as well as other factors in deciding if you transition, reload, run for cover, etc..

The day closed with a simple but fun combat drill. Shooting 5 rounds from the standard positions, moving forward with each one, eventually transitioning to pistol. Everyone enjoyed this one and of course it brought out a little friendly competition.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    AR Gunfighting part 2

Gear. I was running one of the most basic rigs in the class. A S&W M&P15. The only "enhancements" being a US Palm AR Battle Grip, and a Troy Industries rear sight. Used a Vickers Tactical 2-point sling. Mags were Pmags carried in my mini sneaky bag. Pistol, Glock 19 carried Appendix in a Dale Fricke Archangel. Some of the other guns were quite the sight. One of the guys, a private contractor and EP guy, had his all decked out. Leupold 1-5 Scope on top with the illuminated reticle and also a RMR mounted off the right at a 45 for close in stuff. For those of you who think like I do, yes he is also a 3 gun competitor. Not being much of a gear queer, I don't really remember the rest of the guns, but they were sweet.

Out of about 600 rounds, I had no problems of any type that were not caused on purpose. This pleasantly surprised me. Taking this class reminded me of why I prefer the AK. Not that there is anything wrong with the AR platform, I like them and they are fun to shoot. Among the things I like better about the AK are, they are much friendlier to a lefty like myself, more rugged, much easier to clean, no big worries about lubrication. These are just my reasons, not here to start a AR vs. AK pissing match.

224602_215013795183343_100000241730050_851118_2228405_n.jpg
    222681_215014405183282_100000241730050_851126_1689247_n.jpg

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    As usual, there were some really great guys in this class. More heavy on LEO's than usual, but I guess that could be expected being the type of course it was. It was good to see one of my students from a DPS class last year here also. Great training is becoming a given, but I really appreciate the feeling of getting together with like minded individuals in these classes. All in all
    223588_215015151849874_100000241730050_851127_6068237_n.jpg
    l
    227744_215016355183087_100000241730050_851136_2765462_n.jpg
    l
    229350_215016758516380_100000241730050_851148_2733021_n.jpg
    a great way to spend a weekend.:yesway:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom