• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Anyone up for doing the Knobstone Trail? The closest thing we have to the AT here in IN.

Ah, that's the trail I was thinking of when I posted earlier about the Adventure Trail. I did the Knobstone about two decades ago, it was a butt-kicker with constant up-down. I wouldn't mind doing it again to see how much better I could do it now that I'm in better shape for it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I really do not want to go back to some of the trails I humped 2 decades ago...
    LOL...

Thing is for me though, unlike many starting out young and dumb, I was basically lazy and didn't like to hike, especially uphill. I also was in terrible cardio conditioning. As I've gotten older and in better shape I have come to enjoy hiking and I don't mind uphill. There's a hike to a cave I do all of the time in Tennessee that is about 2 miles and 1000' elevation difference. I would do a 12-15 hour trip in the cave no problem, but I hated the hike back up to the car. I'd dread it. Now the hike back up doesn't bother me at all. Even more ironic is that I weigh 50lbs more than I did 20 years ago. Of course most of that is muscle which helps :D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    LOL...

I was in a LOT better shape when I was younger...
    Most of the trails, I use that term real loosely here, I was running now would break me in half now. When i was in Afghan this time we done a patrol around a couple of Hills. It was an 8,000 ft elevation change from start to finish. We completed it in 14 hours. Care to guess the total distance traveled?!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LOL...

I was in a LOT better shape when I was younger...
    Most of the trails, I use that term real loosely here, I was running now would break me in half now. When i was in Afghan this time we done a patrol around a couple of Hills. It was an 8,000 ft elevation change from start to finish. We completed it in 14 hours. Care to guess the total distance traveled?!

Was it one of those where your vertical distance is similar to the trail distance :D

I did a hike in Mexico that was like that. After an hour of laboring up a trail up the side of a mountain we never were more than a stone's throw away from the truck.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Ha! at least that would have felt productive...
    It was just a little over 3 Klicks round trip. At the halfway point I was pretty sure I was about to have a heart attack.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Ha! at least that would have felt productive...
    It was just a little over 3 Klicks round trip. At the halfway point I was pretty sure I was about to have a heart attack.

It's like those guys who speed climb half-dome in like 2 hours. I've done 1500' free rappels and then climbed the rope back up taking an hour and a half. I can't imagine 2.5 times that distance, on rock in a similar time.

Ah well, I'm happy to be a weekend athlete :)

Falkin88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    I would be down to hike the Knobstone. I've hiked it a few times in the past and was planning on doing a hike or two on it this year as it was.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    I would be interested in doing "some" of it, not sure if I could do it all in one shot right now. I am fairly close and would like to do a leg with a group of like minded individuals. Definitely not interested in the cold weather! Spring or summer for sure.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Good training! I've come to the realization that I can't do that level anymore. The same leg that gets me a check from the VA every month has recently started to slow me down (and swell) if I have to walk "briskly" through an airport :rolleyes: I'd like to think that I still have "the mindset," but I really don't have a way to verify as I've morphed into an almost 50 year old REMF/leg/pogue/etc.

Guess I should get off my butt. My wife is gonna laugh when I put monkey bars in the kitchen! I'm going to start walking in running shoes, graduate to boots, and eventually add gear. Realistically, I'll never get back to 11B2P standards, but right now I'd get smoked by anyone in the PAC :xmad:

/pity party

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Great AAR and a good idea. For those of you not into cold weather camping, start out in warmer weather and then graduate to teh cold weather stuff!

I'd love to do part or all of the KT.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Amen to the major concern about the feet. I walked 40 miles (just a hydration/emergency pack, running shoes) in a day on my 40th birthday. Learned a lot during that day and the trial run for it. Body glide is nice. Changing socks is nicer.

Well done, guys, and nice AAR.

HB

Top Bottom