Where:
    Near Southwest side of Indianapolis, Indiana
    Who:
    Shay VanVlymen (Shay) - Owner/Instructor
    Andy- Assistant/Fist Suit Guy
    Students:
    esrice, MangoTango, AGS Armament, shooter521, akaindy, Magnum, James
    Why:
    In keeping with this year's training goal of "hand2hand combatives/FoF", I chose to take this course to increase my combative effectiveness. Hitting people with guns and keeping my pistol retained during an attempted gun-grab are two areas that I had not previously trained.

This was my 4th class with Mindset Lab this year, so I'm becoming more familiar with the weekend training routine. Get up, get ready, arrive at 8:45am, have a bagel, get out the pen and paper, and brace for impact. :D

You can read about my previous classes here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...boratory_flashlight_combatives_12_4_11_a.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_dynamic_fof_scenarios_feb_18_19_2012_a.html

The format of this class was similar to Flashlight Combatives-- we began with lecture in the classroom and then later moved to the warehouse for learning the techniques.

As with all of Mindset Labs' lectures, we started with a safety briefing. We again went over the 4 firearms safety rules, as well as designated a primary and secondary responder for any medical issues that could arise.

Shay then presented an excellent mindset lecture where he touched on aspects of fear, Hick's Law, and Cooper's color codes of awareness. Adopting the kind of mindset that he speaks of is essential to learning and applying the techniques that we would later learn.

We then dove into the theory behind hitting someone with a gun. Why wouldn't we just shoot them instead? When is hitting more tactically, morally, or ethically appropriate? Will it break our guns? Will it cause our guns to malfunction? What if the gun is empty? How will a jury interpret such actions?

Ready to put these theories to the test, we all "de-gunned" and locked away our weapons. Everyone was then patted down and wanded. Once that was done we all headed to the warehouse.

25teo47.jpg

In the warehouse everyone was issued G19 blue guns and Raven Concealment Systems holsters.

etvfvb.jpg

nv4bw9.jpg

We then started working through 3 different strikes with handguns. We talked about their strengths and weaknesses, as well as how each one affects the gun itself. Practicing the strikes with our partners proved that no one would want to get whacked with a pistol.

jskcol.jpg

14dhnye.jpg

We then broke for lunch. shooter521, akakindy and I grabbed some Subway and returned back to the classroom where everyone was trying their hardest to come up with appropriate slogans for a Mindset Labs T-shirt. Very few were "appropriate". :D

After lunch we were back in the warehouse for retention drills. We started with 'guns out', and worked on several different ways to keep our guns ours. I appreciated that the techniques taught were caveman simple. Never once did I see a technique that involved many steps or was so complex that it could never be performed under stress.

de4ug7.jpg

We then worked on 'guns in holsters' retention. This one really strayed from the training norm of "jam the gun down in the holster and jump around" that you typically see in various law enforcement training videos. Shay's technique was quite unique, worked well, and was easy to get into and out of.

j8pkpf.jpg

34yv14y.jpg

The next block was on long guns and we used AR-15 and Remy 870 blue guns. Here we saw the pros and cons of sling usage, and worked on striking and retention.

2vl7aww.jpg

33nf6f4.jpg

The last couple hours of class was spent putting everything we had learned together and going one-on-one with a live opponent in a protective Fist suit. This stage is always where the lightbulbs starting flickering on.

First round was timed at just 20 seconds. If anyone thinks that fighting (even against only moderate resistance) for 20 seconds is easy, they haven't ever been in a 20 second fight. Its amazing at how such little time can quickly tell you just how out-of-shape you are. :D

The second round was 40 seconds. Although this one sucked twice was much, it was nice to be able to "fix" your previous mistakes and focus more on your strikes. We also found that trying to retain your pistol becomes tougher against a padded opponent, as striking their arm doesn't make them release quite like we had experienced before.

So what did I personally learn?

• I need more gas for the fight. If my opponent has more gas, he's going to eventually win-- even if my tactics are sound.
    • Guns can do more than just shoot.
    • akaindy has long spider arms and a kung-fu grip.
    • Gun owners are generally judged on one of two criteria: the largeness of their collection or the smallness of their groups-- neither of which has anything to do with fighting.
    • There is no "good" tactic for a surprise rear gun-grab.
    • Hello Kitty bandaids are awesome.
    I would recommend this class to anyone who carries a gun, especially those who choose to open carry, and to anyone who's tired of going to the range and putting holes in paper with their carry gun. It was a fantastic class and I'm already getting pumped up for April's Low-Light FoF Scenarios class.

I know shooter521 will be along later with more pictures and videos, as my camera decided to die halfway through class.

300gso9.jpg

:ingo:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    This was my 4th class with Mindset Lab this year, so I'm becoming more familiar with the weekend training routine. Get up, get ready, arrive at 8:45am, have a bagel, get out the pen and paper, and brace for impact.

4th class? By my count, from your links, this is the 3rd.

Great AAR, as always! I talked to Shay at the 1500 Saturday, for the first time.
    I'm taking one of his classes sometime. :D

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Looks like a good class :rockwoot: I might have to put this on the list for next year.

Note to self: Ignore all AARs posted by esrice :spend:

And... lovemachine strikes again :facepalm:
    :stickpoke:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Nice AAR as usual!:thumbsup:

Looks like a great class, I like that he covers rifles and shotguns, that can't be easy!:eek:

I briefly cover long guns, because it's important to explain the concepts, but I resist dedicating more class time to them.

It seems like the trend in firearm training is to focus on the least likely to occur situations with the weapon you are least likely to have with you. I focus most of my teaching on your brain, your pistol, your cell phone and your flashlight. Not very sexy.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Fortunately, I picked up my camera and stepped in when esrice's batteries died, and I was able to grab some FIST Suit fight action:

mango_strike.jpg

MangoTango prepares to execute a muzzle strike

magnum_strike.jpg

Magnum connects with a lefty ridge-hand strike

aaron_take.jpg

akaindy slams his forearm onto his opponent's wrists to make his opponent let go of the gun

james_defend.jpg

James tries to keep his opponent at bay while delivering a muzzle strike

jahred_covering.jpg

Gamez235 protects himself against his opponent's attack

class.jpg

The class (L to R):
    MangoTango, Gamez235, Magnum, akaindy, Shay, Andy, James, Shooter521, esrice

My biggest take-away from this class was the need for some basic level of fitness (a good idea for life, not just for training). After about 20 seconds into the FIST suit matchups, I could feel my energy level drop off significantly, and after 40 seconds I found it very hard to continue. I was winded for several minutes afterward (cardio!) and ended up pulling a muscle in my back, which had me laid up for most of the following day. The FIST suit bouts also drove home the idea that the strikes and techniques we learned in class might not (read, "will probably not") go exactly as hoped when applied against a real opponent, so you'd better have a plan B/C/D/E/etc and be able to implement it on the fly.

Generally, this was an excellent training opportunity. I'm glad to have taken advantage of it, and will definitely be looking to attend other courses from Mindset Lab in the future.

Last edited:

smccabe17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    This class sounds amazing. I am wanting to take this and the low light fof class. I am trying to get my family to take the sexy flashlight course.

Top Bottom