• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Im not the wordsmith some of you are, but here are a few thoughts on the Carbine 1 class from this weekend...

I really enjoyed the class and learned a lot.
    I like that Matt talks to the class and by that I mean it was more of a conversation format as opposed to reading to us. I hate being read to.
    The information was basic and that is what I needed. Its carbine 1 after all. I have been shooting for years, and have attended many pistol classes but this was my first formal long gun class.
    After a review of safety, and some good foundational discussion, we went to the range and confirmed our zeros.
    An exercise to demonstrate how the lower you are to the ground the better your groups should be, worked backward for me. I shot my best group standing. Go figure, I have shot carbines standing the majority of the time. So I learned I need to work on the other positions.
    We followed this with many other drills, movement, transitions to handgun, barricade etc. All highlighted what I need to work on and techniques to improve my shooting.

Side notes I learned that after a couple hundred rounds of wolfe (never had a problem with it before) cases started sticking in my chamber. A couple had the rim torn off! (I had heard of this but never experienced it first hand)
    I finished the class with a borrowed carbine where I learned that picitini rails are SHARP! Then another borrowed carbine taught me that suppressed weapons get CRAZY HOT! OMG HOT, wish I had some bacon cuz I could cook it up on the forend HOT! mmmmm bacon.... where was I?

Oh yah ammo, wolfe has worked fine for me in the past, but lots of rounds without cleaning, hot weapon and hot weather, not a good combo. So back to brass for me!!!

I highly recommend the class and the instructors. I wish I could make Carbine 2 but its not going to work out.

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    For those guys running wolf. I'd say run your first 100 rounds through as wolf then change over to brass. I may do that next time to save money.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    For those guys running wolf. I'd say run your first 100 rounds through as wolf then change over to brass. I may do that next time to save money.

I wouldn't advise running steel cased ammunition & then switching to brass cased ammunition without first cleaning the weapon's chamber, at least not if you are running an AR.

Steel cased ammunition doesn't expand as tightly against the chamber as brass cased ammunition does, & since the AR is a direct impingement gas system it'll leave a thin, almost microscopic layer of carbon in the chamber, when brass cased ammunition is then fired prior to the carbon being removed, the brass can seize up inside of the chamber due to the extra resistance of the carbon coating the chrome chamber.

I shoot a lot of steel cased ammunition through my AR's but I ALWAYS clean them really good prior to switching over to brass cased ammunition, mostly because I have had the above happen when I didn't.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Thanks Matt and Justin for the class, I had a great time and felt the learning environment was perfect for the class level. The personal attention received by having an instructor for every 2 people really did help a lot. Very good advice being given by experienced personnel, I really hope to make it to Carbine II so I can get more.

I felt like I shot pretty well considering the excitement. It took much longer than normal to get control of my heart rate.

Also thanks Justin for allowing me to shoot your M4 at the end of class, definitely put a smile on my face.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Thanks again Matt and Justin for a great class. I learned some good stuff that I can practice on my own and show friends.

I'd never shot from behind a barrier and that was fun. I think I'll be building one to play with :D

Everyone did a great job of being safe.

:patriot::ingo:

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    After taking Carbine 1 and Pistol 1, I've found I've spent my last 25 years blasting with firearms, really just now beginning to SHOOT them.

Thanks to Matt and Justin for another great class. Also thanks to everyone else for putting up with my brass flingers :yesway:.

Would llllooovvvvveee to do Carbine II but another 600 rounds isn't in the budget by next month :(.

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    Here are the videos from the after party in case anyone missed them from the class page:

[ame]http://youtu.be/0DxQlKEjvKE[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/DsatGJ_y34A[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/zjV4exsjVwg[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/G6AyKarAHvo[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/9MGcQcPNN-c[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/I7hpNzKNWms[/ame]

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    Oh yah ammo, wolfe has worked fine for me in the past, but lots of rounds without cleaning, hot weapon and hot weather, not a good combo. So back to brass for me!!!

I started feeling pretty bad for you, seeing you struggle with the Wolf Ammo and all. That was, until you were loaned a surpressed SBR. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom