AAR: Point 1 Tactics Pistol Performance ft. Donovan Moore -- June 2023 @ Lebanon

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Trainer review: Donovan / Point1 is an exceptional shooter who is obsessed with optimizing his shooting, learning from legends like JJ Racaza and Modern Samurai (who joined the class this weekend). With a background as an EOD and a photographic memory, he possesses a mechanical inclination and effectively delves into the root of issues to provide solutions. He takes the time to familiarize himself with each student, remembering their names, setups, strengths, and weaknesses before heading to the range. His high EQ / IQ make him an outstanding instructor, truly capable of teaching you how to shoot better. Highly recommend taking a class with him regardless of level!

Personally, I mentioned on the first day that I was struggling with my grip, adapting the Modern Samurai way (support thumb up) while still haunted by my old habits (support thumb forward). Throughout the weekend, he hammered at my issue multiple times on the firing line, highlighting that my support hand was being a b****. On one of the stages on the second day, he had the class critique my shooting after a demo, calling me out as a Tactical Turtle and locking my elbows when I shot while moving. Best constructive criticism I've gotten on the range and lit a fire under my a**!

Course review: Performance Pistol was an advanced class, a lot of really skilled shooters were present from around the country including a number of LEO trainers & guys who compete. There was one student that actually crushed the Tactical Elite Standards earlier this week and was also bada** to take a class alongside Modern Samurai himself! Thanks @jrm for hosting, and @ditcherman @nad63 for the invite! Class begins in the classroom with Donovan outlining his curriculum, building upon it throughout the weekend. He constantly reinforces the fundamental pillars of shooting: Grip, Sights, and Trigger. Throughout the weekend, he goes into greater detail on Sights and Trigger.

He breaks down Sights into 3 elements, Gross Sight Picture (target in your window), Streak (dot resembling a paintbrush), and Static (dot remaining steady). On the range, you learn when to deploy each technique based on time, confidence, distance and size, i.e., Gross Sight Picture within 3 paces for efficient hits keeps you in the A zone, while opting for a streak at further distances like in a Bill Drill for the same result.

Donovan dedicated the first morning on the range to Trigger. He has you observe on your own how pinning the trigger (when you can hear it click when resetting) is the least optimal way to shoot fast & accurately, giving shooters a false sense of security when shooting at a distance or requiring high confidence for precise shots. Through drills, he guides students through unlearning bad habits by getting used to letting go of the trigger after each shot and then walks you through how to most efficiently prep to the final wall "PFW", letting the trigger reset with your finger not leaving the shoe vs. pinning. Trigger portion progressed to "controlled slapping", enabling faster shooting in conjunction with a gross sight picture for predictive shots. Conversely, for reactive shots with a static dot, you learn to prep the trigger to the final wall.

The most intriguing part of the course is blending, which was a blast on the range both days. Donovan trains you to be visually aggressive and explains the science behind optimizing target transitions. This involves categorizing targets as Attack (predictive/close torso) or Control (reactive/headshots). For attack targets, you shoot fast with visual aggression, allowing your eyes to drive the gun. Numerous drills are conducted, practicing transitions between head and torso targets in various patterns. One significant takeaway is the importance of quickly transitioning from Control to Attack targets but not vice versa.

Day 2 introduced movement into the equation, where Donovan emphasizes athleticism and efficient footwork. This includes knowing when to pivot, drop your hips, and position your elbows. He seamlessly integrates this with the rest of the curriculum, guiding you in choosing the optimal times to maintain your sight picture and when to adjust your body orientation. Second day was mostly range time, shooting stages over and over, absolute blast even in the rain!

Highly recommend the class for anyone that wants to level up their shooting from a guy that patiently breaks down mechanics for shooting more fast and accurately!

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Trainer review: Donovan / Point1 is an exceptional shooter who is obsessed with optimizing his shooting, learning from legends like JJ Racaza and Modern Samurai (who joined the class this weekend). With a background as an EOD and a photographic memory, he possesses a mechanical inclination and effectively delves into the root of issues to provide solutions. He takes the time to familiarize himself with each student, remembering their names, setups, strengths, and weaknesses before heading to the range. His high EQ / IQ make him an outstanding instructor, truly capable of teaching you how to shoot better. Highly recommend taking a class with him regardless of level!

Personally, I mentioned on the first day that I was struggling with my grip, adapting the Modern Samurai way (support thumb up) while still haunted by my old habits (support thumb forward). Throughout the weekend, he hammered at my issue multiple times on the firing line, highlighting that my support hand was being a b****. On one of the stages on the second day, he had the class critique my shooting after a demo, calling me out as a Tactical Turtle and locking my elbows when I shot while moving. Best constructive criticism I've gotten on the range and lit a fire under my a**!

Course review: Performance Pistol was an advanced class, a lot of really skilled shooters were present from around the country including a number of LEO trainers & guys who compete. There was one student that actually crushed the Tactical Elite Standards earlier this week and was also bada** to take a class alongside Modern Samurai himself! Thanks @jrm for hosting, and @ditcherman @nad63 for the invite! Class begins in the classroom with Donovan outlining his curriculum, building upon it throughout the weekend. He constantly reinforces the fundamental pillars of shooting: Grip, Sights, and Trigger. Throughout the weekend, he goes into greater detail on Sights and Trigger.

He breaks down Sights into 3 elements, Gross Sight Picture (target in your window), Streak (dot resembling a paintbrush), and Static (dot remaining steady). On the range, you learn when to deploy each technique based on time, confidence, distance and size, i.e., Gross Sight Picture within 3 paces for efficient hits keeps you in the A zone, while opting for a streak at further distances like in a Bill Drill for the same result.

Donovan dedicated the first morning on the range to Trigger. He has you observe on your own how pinning the trigger (when you can hear it click when resetting) is the least optimal way to shoot fast & accurately, giving shooters a false sense of security when shooting at a distance or requiring high confidence for precise shots. Through drills, he guides students through unlearning bad habits by getting used to letting go of the trigger after each shot and then walks you through how to most efficiently prep to the final wall "PFW", letting the trigger reset with your finger not leaving the shoe vs. pinning. Trigger portion progressed to "controlled slapping", enabling faster shooting in conjunction with a gross sight picture for predictive shots. Conversely, for reactive shots with a static dot, you learn to prep the trigger to the final wall.

The most intriguing part of the course is blending, which was a blast on the range both days. Donovan trains you to be visually aggressive and explains the science behind optimizing target transitions. This involves categorizing targets as Attack (predictive/close torso) or Control (reactive/headshots). For attack targets, you shoot fast with visual aggression, allowing your eyes to drive the gun. Numerous drills are conducted, practicing transitions between head and torso targets in various patterns. One significant takeaway is the importance of quickly transitioning from Control to Attack targets but not vice versa.

Day 2 introduced movement into the equation, where Donovan emphasizes athleticism and efficient footwork. This includes knowing when to pivot, drop your hips, and position your elbows. He seamlessly integrates this with the rest of the curriculum, guiding you in choosing the optimal times to maintain your sight picture and when to adjust your body orientation. Second day was mostly range time, shooting stages over and over, absolute blast even in the rain!

Highly recommend the class for anyone that wants to level up their shooting from a guy that patiently breaks down mechanics for shooting more fast and accurately!
    Great write up.

One of the most striking things to me was how humble and gracious Donovan was. As one of the slowest and least accurate students in the class, he still took time with me personally, and I came away with a tremendous amount of stuff to work on - actually started on it tonight.

He opened up the class talking about how humbled he was that we would choose him, and then didn’t hesitate to tell us how we were doing it wrong. He earned it from leading from the front at all times.
    Humility from someone so confident and knowledgeable is a rare trait these days.

I was so stoked to be in a class with such high level shooters, not to mention Jedi there alongside Donovan, but really just taking the class trying to understand Donovan’s technique.

I can’t imagine standards higher than the Point 1 Tactics qualifier. It truly is elite. The speed and accuracy he achieves is amazing.

Donovan is a great teacher, he is helping keep my dream of being dangerous alive.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Glad to see the write up and that a number of people here took the class. I am jealous. I have taken so many classes through the years that I have become very picky, but that is one that is on my radar. I am pretty certain that Donovan was in the class I took from Jedi years ago at Alpha range in the Chicagoland area. As was Matt Little (Greybeard Actual), and Les Peperoni. (Competitive GM).

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    This was an awesome class. Also very humbling at times. I have plenty of new things to work on.
    Point 1 will be back next year. Also have a to be announced later class in the works.....
    Like, adding another one this year yet??
    Jedi had a couple openings but man that’s getting late for me to commit, and it was an instructor class…

Really appreciate what you and the city are doing there.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Glad to see the write up and that a number of people here took the class. I am jealous. I have taken so many classes through the years that I have become very picky, but that is one that is on my radar. I am pretty certain that Donovan was in the class I took from Jedi years ago at Alpha range in the Chicagoland area. As was Matt Little (Greybeard Actual), and Les Peperoni. (Competitive GM).
    Donovan talked at length how that he had taken Jedi’s class 3 or 4 years ago and it changed his whole trajectory, it was very cool to see the teacher become the student if only for a few days.

He mentioned they talk most every week, bouncing things off each other and challenging each other.

We really rubbed elbows with some people this weekend.

jrm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Nothing this year I am booked up. I have a big class in the works for next year.
    Scott was talking about opening up the instructor course and adding a couple more spots. I have not seen that class so I can't tell you what to expect but knowing Scott it will be good.
    I appreciate everyone coming out and training with us.

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis

Wait wait I got it now…
    “Modern Point 1 Jedi Samurai Tactics, Dreams of Dangerous”

More inclusive than just ‘keeping farmers dangerous’ although I like that one better.
    I asked ChatGPT to write this for you:

Manifesto of the Tactical Farmer: Embracing the Power of the Land and Becoming Dangerously Skilled

Introduction:

I, a humble farmer, have embarked on a unique journey. With a burning desire to protect and defend, I have sought tactical training to augment my connection with the land and harness its potential. This manifesto outlines my philosophy and aspirations as a Tactical Farmer, blending the wisdom of agriculture with the art of combat. I envision a world where farmers not only cultivate crops but also stand as capable defenders of their land, their communities, and their way of life.

1. The Farmer's Duty:
    As stewards of the earth, farmers have an inherent duty to safeguard their livelihoods and the well-being of those who depend on them. By expanding our skill set to include tactical training, we embrace a responsibility to protect our land from threats and ensure the sustainability of our way of life.

1. Knowledge is Power:
    Just as we meticulously learn the cycles of the seasons and the nuances of our crops, we must also become students of strategic and tactical knowledge. By studying the principles of warfare, self-defense, and survival, we equip ourselves with the mental acuity and physical prowess necessary to navigate uncertain times.

1. Self-Reliance and Preparedness:
    As Tactical Farmers, we understand that true power lies in self-reliance and preparedness. We strive to be self-sufficient, honing our abilities to provide for ourselves and our communities in times of crisis. We cultivate food, but we also cultivate resilience and adaptability, ensuring that our farms become fortresses of sustenance and security.

1. Respect for Nature's Force:
    While we may seek to become dangerous in our capabilities, we remain acutely aware of the delicate balance of nature. We tread upon the land with reverence and gratitude, recognizing that it is from the earth that our strength springs forth. Our tactical pursuits do not detract from our role as environmental guardians but enhance our ability to protect the fragile ecosystems that sustain us.

1. The Defense of Community:
    As Tactical Farmers, we understand that our purpose extends beyond individual protection. We forge alliances with like-minded individuals, uniting to form resilient and interdependent communities. Together, we stand as defenders of not only our own farms but also the shared values and resources that bind us together. By fostering cooperation and solidarity, we strengthen our collective resolve.

1. Balancing Force with Compassion:
    While our aim is to be dangerous when necessary, we do not embrace violence for its own sake. We recognize the profound responsibility that comes with power and strive to wield it judiciously. We champion peace, but we are ready to act with measured force when confronted with threats that jeopardize our land, our families, or our communities.

1. Lifelong Learning and Growth:
    The path of the Tactical Farmer is one of continuous growth and learning. We constantly refine our skills, adapt our strategies, and embrace innovation. Just as we experiment with new farming techniques to improve yields, we explore evolving tactics and technologies to safeguard our way of life. We stay attuned to advancements in agriculture and tactical disciplines to remain on the cutting edge of our craft.

Conclusion:

In the union of agriculture and tactical training, the Tactical Farmer emerges as a guardian of the land, a provider of sustenance, and a defender of peace. We embrace our role as fierce protectors with a deep reverence for nature's forces. Through self-reliance, knowledge, and community, we strive to build a future where farmers are not only skilled cultivators but also formidable warriors in the fight for a secure and prosperous world.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    This was ‘performance pistol’ from the moment you arrived.
    Way too much info to digest the first time through this class. Some of it counterintuitive to what you have previously been taught or just did it that way as that was how it was taught.
    Slowing down lateral movement, turning body for shot and prepping the trigger to the ‘final’ wall before the target appears from behind the barricade for one.
    Getting things done faster was the order of the day, but while still maintaining accuracy.
    The level of accuracy varied but was typically either a 4’ x 4” or the ‘A’ zone and we were all accountable for our hits.
    Many of the drills required every individual being timed and there were 20 of us on the line. Surprisingly this does not take long when you have to complete the drill in 8-12 secs or less than two seconds. Donovan demoed every drill showing it how it should be done and quite frankly that it was possible to do in such short time frames.
    Saving time on any aspect of pistol work seemed to be discussed, practiced, and proven to be true. If you are faster out the holster, faster to acquire target, faster to see sights (or not depending on level of difficulty), faster to make the shot/s, faster to see the next target, faster to move into position….
    Loved the quote “Failure is not the opposite of success”… we all failed many times for sure. Donovan and Scott were right there pushing themselves alongside us and you couldn’t help picking up on their energy, excitement, and competitiveness.
    Donovan always seemed to be watching and offered praise, advice, feedback or criticism on individual performance all with the emphasis on making us better.
    We were strongly encouraged to take notes, videos, pics and there was just so much to take in. You can’t expect to instantly become a better shooter after a two-day class but I’d say that is arguable after this class. There’s so much for me to work on.

Thanks to @jrm for continuing to bring these amazing training opportunities to us.

jrm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Scott added a couple more spots to this sold out class.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Scott added a couple more spots to this sold out class.

Doooogh! I'll be at sage dynamics rds class in Tennessee those 2 days. In prep to take his instructor class in Lebanon 2 weeks later.

Seriously jrm, thanks for bringing all this awesomeness to us locally. It's not a small deal!

Top Bottom