• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I use the old school tv antenna I have had for years. We got rid on the large end because that was for channels before the tv digital switch. Currently in attic but we might mount it outside. (When I placed the Christmas free box upstairs I think I pushed another box into the antenna and tipped it and lost channel 4 and 29 and did not notice till the football game and had to go up and point it again. Just laying on the rafters and other than me being an idiot has work real well.

westill pay cable company for 200 mbps internet at around 50 a month. Seems to work well as far as no one has complained about any buffering. Main bedroom tv and main family room tv are hardwired internet and the two kids rooms run off the wifi. Wife has phone iPad and computer WiFi. Kids have phone ipad and laptops. That is 9 devices. Add 5 tv,s and my phone and iPad Pro. that’s 16. Add others coming over and 200 mbps seems to work fine. 15-23 mbps to stream 4K HDR CONTENT and I think a couple of TV’s are only HD. NO OTHER REAL OPTION for internet at 50 a month than cable.

now WiFi. I used unifi mesh system and there router and I can cover the whole house and outside with my 4 mesh antennas I think with mimo 4 your get great speeds and I hate pay8ng the cable company for their ****** stuff monthly. I got under 600 in the WiFi system but it works very well and is only dragged down by my cheapness in speed to the house.

do it it has cut our bill drastically we netflix at 17 a month and I would get rid of it but the wife and kids like it. 50 for internet could be worse since I can barely order a pizza delivered to the house.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I should try this but I actually went into the Xfinity store the other day and inquired about deleting the cable but keeping the internet only and was told the price would be $125. You suppose they were just testing me ?
    I pay $75/mo for Xfinity internet only & that includes the $14/mo modem rental rip off & paying $10 extra for no limit streaming cap on usage.
    But, I only have 50 Mbps, which is all the wife & I need.
    You can simply go online & get that pricing.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My bad, I must say currently I record about 95% of what I watch and also use Netflix, Disney+, and HBO max. So is there a recording option with YouTubeTV ? I am somewhat familiar with some of the channels on there but not a DVR capability.
    The recording with youtubetv is unlimited (after 9 months a recording will drop off though).
    When I did my research into streaming services, it had the best set up b/c unlimited.

I go on my cmp to "align" my channels in the order I want & delete ones that are just taking up space.
    I got over 100 channels but only use about half that.
    The computer (your account) is the only way to delete any recording, which is inconvenient verses simply doing it on TV screen with your remote.

Someone mentioned a learning curve & that is certainly correct.
    But, like everything else, after a month it is old hat.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I appreciate all of the suggestions, I'll probably be making a decision soon.
    I just found out that for another $10/mo I can had ad free TV on YouTubeTV & that is tempting.
    In reading about it I ran across an article which said youtubetv was the best transition for new cable cutters, but at $65/mo, the down side.
    The article was fed up with Sling for some reason.

UPDATE: There is NO ad free youtubetv, that was just for Youtube premium (not the tv streaming channels).

Last edited:

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    This thread finally got me to cut the cord somewhat with xfinity. I went with the 600 Mbps for $59 minus $5 auto pay. That is internet service only. We don’t have fiber where I live even though it’s at the new subdivision down the street. I’m so mad about that. I’m sure we will never get fiber because the houses are too far apart. Xfinity included a new modem and some streaming device. I already have my streaming cover. I ordered a TiVo OTA DVR from amazon for $299 to cover my locals with a guide. It already has a life time service so no additional costs down the road. If I don’t really like or use the TiVo I’ll send it back. I’ll be saving just over $100 going internet only.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This thread finally got me to cut the cord somewhat with xfinity. I went with the 600 Mbps for $59 minus $5 auto pay. That is internet service only. We don’t have fiber where I live even though it’s at the new subdivision down the street. I’m so mad about that. I’m sure we will never get fiber because the houses are too far apart. Xfinity included a new modem and some streaming device. I already have my streaming cover. I ordered a TiVo OTA DVR from amazon for $299 to cover my locals with a guide. It already has a life time service so no additional costs down the road. If I don’t really like or use the TiVo I’ll send it back. I’ll be saving just over $100 going internet only.
    How in the world do you get 600 Mbps for $59 - $5 = $55??? :ugh:
    I'm paying $75 for 50 Mbps which includes $5 auto pay & modem & unlimited data usage if using over 1.2 TB). :scratch:
    I have used under 800 data usage my first 2 months but don't have the courage to drop the unlimited coverage ($10/mo) b/c they charge $10 or every additional 50 data used in a month over the 1.2 TB. :wallbash:
    (Note: there is a lawsuit about it pending, since it is so outrageous)
    When my daughter is here with their families will be the real test with gaming & cell usage spiking my internet data usage, haha!

Last edited:

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    How in the world do you get 600 Mbps for $59 - $5 = $55??? :ugh:
    I'm paying $75 for 50 Mbps which includes $5 auto pay & modem & unlimited data usage if using over 1.2 TB). :scratch:
    I have used under 800 data usage the last 2 months but don't have the courage to drop the unlimited coverage ($10/mo) b/c they charge $10 or every additional 50 data used in a month over the 1.2 TB. :wallbash:
    (Note: there is a lawsuit about it pending, since it is so outrageous)
    When my daughter is here with their families will be the real test with gaming & cell usage spiking my internet data usage, haha!
    I’m sure xfinity didn’t want to drop their prices but my buddy down the street in the new subdivision has AT&T gig speed fiber for $90 a month. Xfinity is forced to be competitive.

HazelDell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2022
    Carmel
    We stopped cable about a year ago. Stream a couple of things. Disney and Netflix and we have Amazon prime so get a few shows there. The less TV the better. I don’t miss it much

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    you know the millions of free Wi-Fi hotspots across the country they advertise? Your router is one of them. Any other customer within range of your modem can use the private Wi-Fi on thr router and leach your bandwidth as if it was their own.
    I have Comcast Business Class Internet, and I got the tech to leave me the info on accessing the settings on my modem.
    All wifi from the modem is turned off, and the only wifi in my place is on my hardware under my control.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have Comcast Business Class Internet, and I got the tech to leave me the info on accessing the settings on my modem.
    All wifi from the modem is turned off, and the only wifi in my place is on my hardware under my control.
    They will turn them off if you ask them. Im responsible for 26 sites in 6 states. None of the techs ever refused.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It is the first time I've ever seen it cheaper to use their stuff, but it was. I'm not sure exactly what the angle is, I'm sure it's not out of the goodness of their hearts. It's not a smart speaker or anything, so it's not listening to me fart and selling the sound clips to fetishists or anything. I *think* perhaps it saves them on maintenance/customer service call stuff since standardized equipment is easier to troubleshoot and I can use the app to do most of it myself if there's an issue.

Figured out the angle, now. They started charging $25/mo equipment fee rental. I, once again, called and asked what they would do for me to not switch to AT&T Fiber. Ended up at $60/mo for 1GB, taxes and fees included. Way more capacity/speed than I need, but AT&T is $65/mo for half the speed if you don't want to use their wireless.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Figured out the angle, now. They started charging $25/mo equipment fee rental. I, once again, called and asked what they would do for me to not switch to AT&T Fiber. Ended up at $60/mo for 1GB, taxes and fees included. Way more capacity/speed than I need, but AT&T is $65/mo for half the speed if you don't want to use their wireless.
    Im having flashbacks to Comcast going full digital. When they did, they offered free converter boxes so your analog tv could receive the digital signals. "But dont worry, there is no charge for the boxes. Only main decoders with DVRs are a cost. You wont have to pay per TV to watch TV."

Fast forward 12-18 months, suddenly those extra converters were $5/mo each. :xmad:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Im having flashbacks to Comcast going full digital. When they did, they offered free converter boxes so your analog tv could receive the digital signals. "But dont worry, there is no charge for the boxes. Only main decoders with DVRs are a cost. You wont have to pay per TV to watch TV."

Fast forward 12-18 months, suddenly those extra converters were $5/mo each. :xmad:
    Been there & done that.
    I remember when I was paying $2/box for 4 boxes = $8 total.
    I think it got up to $6/box x4 = $24 total. :wallbash:

I cut the cable about 2 yrs ago, I think, maybe 3 yrs.
    I have YouTube TV now, but I do still pay for Xfinity internet.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    While we likely won't have to pay per tv anymore, the costs are going back up as content providers all start their own streaming service and the content you want are on three or four different providers. At least now it is clear where the cost is coming from.

Top Bottom