• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Center for Disease Control Stats. In 2007 there were 3443 accidental drownings,29,846 accidental poisonings ( I am sure this includes accidental ODs) and 613 accidental firearms related deaths in the US....

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I did not know if anyone had posted this information in a while,unfortunately I could not find newer stats....It seems that a lot of people have an unreasonable fear of having firearms in the home based on the dramatic reporting when an accident occurs.I have heard the statement from young men "my wife won't let me have guns while the children are young". How sad to hear a full grown man say such a thing...

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    If you calculate total number of deaths AND injuries by firearm in country and weigh it against the LAST known number of legal gun owners (80 million) it turns out that over 99% of LAW ABIDING firearms owners heart NOBODY, EVERY year

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    If my math is correct, that is 0.000204% of the US population. I am sure the percentage would be higher if the group included only those people who actually own firearms, but still very good odds... and 0.00076625 for the 80 million...

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If you calculate total number of deaths AND injuries by firearm in country and weigh it against the LAST known number of legal gun owners (80 million) it turns out that over 99% of LAW ABIDING firearms owners heart NOBODY, EVERY year

It's a whole lot more than 99%... probably 99.98% for non-accidental gun deaths.

rgrimm... yep, the math is correct 0.000766% of gun owners have an accidental gun death. That's a rate of 1 accidental gun death for every 130,506 gun owners.

Still too many if you ask me... taken over a lifetime of 75 years, that drops way down to 1740.

Yeah. Chew on that number.

And nearly every one of them is preventable if you...

ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded when not in use.

Just a couple weeks ago a buddy of mine had a guy put a bullet through his refrigerator because he didn't know how to properly use is 1911. Old guys love 'em - it's a status symbol for them, I think. (He was a "condition 2" carry guy, was lowering the hammer when it slipped.)

Like Kirk always says -- please stop fiddling with your gun.

And when you do fiddle with it, PLEASE have a safe backstop. A bucket of sand at the home depot is cheap. A box of old magazines will work too.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    ....I have heard the statement from young men "my wife won't let me have guns while the children are young". How sad to hear a full grown man say such a thing...

I do not understand this. It must be the times in which we live. Having been raised in a house that always had guns, having firearms (or seeing someone with them) is as natural as seeing someone walk. As far as dad's guns, we kids knew where they were. We did not touch them. Never. Never. Never. Why do you suppose that is? How did we kids ever survive in that environment?

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I do not understand this. It must be the times in which we live. Having been raised in a house that always had guns, having firearms (or seeing someone with them) is as natural as seeing someone walk. As far as dad's guns, we kids knew where they were. We did not touch them. Never. Never. Never. Why do you suppose that is? How did we kids ever survive in that environment?

Clearly your survival was nothing short of a miracle. You grew up in a house with inanimate metal objects that had the capacity to project smaller metal objects long distances!

*faints*

Top Bottom