• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Is anyone using this ? I picked it up about 2 months ago and have shot as of tonight, 20,012 "rounds". In short it is a virtual reality shooting simulator. I should start by saying I have not really played video games since you actually went to arcades to do it. Like say the late 80's. That made this whole thing a bit of a learning curve, and an investment. First you have to own the Meta Quest either 2 or 3. Since I had neither I spent $300 on the 3. Then you have to subscribe to the app and get the handgun from ace. The handgun is a Sig 320ish thing that you put the controller from the quest in. It has a functioning trigger and a button for a mag release. Righty's or Lefty's shooting as righty's only. I will come back to that. From ACE a one year subscription and the pistol is around $230. I had a code from someone so paid about $200. So no, it is not cheap, roughly the cost of 2 cases of ammo.

There are a lot of things you can do with this including Steel Challenge like stages, USPSA stages, standard drills, decision drills, and more. They add things quite often. Here is a short video from Matt Little showing one way to use it.

Here is a picture from my best so far score. AFAIK it goes from bronze to diamond on the scores using hit factor but also some sort of other number score. Though you cant see it all in the picture this drill is based on the Tom Cruise briefcase scene in Collateral.
    2d0d6fc236d86a54993317f9e9053f9f.jpg

Does it help? Last weekend I shot my first IDPA match of the season, so the first match in 4 months. Though I didn't dominate, coming in 3rd, I did shoot very consistently. I did have one issue. Remember I said you couldn't do a reload as a Lefty? A number of years ago I started switching my mag releases over on my ambi guns and have been training that way. Well in the game I have to reload as a righty. First reload of the match I tried to reload as a righty. It cost me some time, in some measure because not only did I mess up, but it was cold out and the arthritis in my hand made it pretty stiff. To solve that issue, at least temporarily I just set my gun on unlimited ammo in the game. There are still some stages that require reloads so it is not a complete fix. So far that is the only negative training scar I have seen. One big positive is that much like regular dry fire, this allows you to perform at the limits of human function, but unlike regular dry fire adds in times, and hits, and other features. No, it does not have recoil per se, but your sight picture does move as if there is.

In short, like so many things I think it depends how you use it. It can just be a fun game, or possibly it can be a valuable training tool.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Does the virtual sight picture that you see on the screen match up with the "muscle memory" position of your actual gun when you draw or press out to the target?

I think you're probably mostly training your ability to visually drive your sights or dot to the target with this thing, but consistent training builds a specific proprioception that aids in getting the sights in front of your eye. So that could be a factor in long-term adaptation with a tool like this. Maybe it's not a big deal though.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Does the virtual sight picture that you see on the screen match up with the "muscle memory" position of your actual gun when you draw or press out to the target?

I think you're probably mostly training your ability to visually drive your sights or dot to the target with this thing, but consistent training builds a specific proprioception that aids in getting the sights in front of your eye. So that could be a factor in long-term adaptation with a tool like this. Maybe it's not a big deal though.
    I would say it is a big deal, especially for a dot gun. Yes, for me it is a good match. If I was shooting a Glock still, maybe not so much. A lot of people do shoot different pistols but apparently don't notice what you are talking about, or are just way better shooters than me.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I would say it is a big deal, especially for a dot gun. Yes, for me it is a good match. If I was shooting a Glock still, maybe not so much. A lot of people do shoot different pistols but apparently don't notice what you are talking about, or are just way better shooters than me.
    I would guess that, if your eyes are well trained, most pistols are similar enough that its not as big a factor moving form pistol to pistol.
    I would think the difference between two real pistols might not be as big as a real pistol vs a sensor that relates that position to a screen strapped to your head. My only experience with anything like this is Duck Hunt on the old nintendo. SOO... It's probably far more advanced.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I would guess that, if your eyes are well trained, most pistols are similar enough that its not as big a factor moving form pistol to pistol.
    I would think the difference between two real pistols might not be as big as a real pistol vs a sensor that relates that position to a screen strapped to your head. My only experience with anything like this is Duck Hunt on the old nintendo. SOO... It's probably far more advanced.
    I have to say, the realism and detail are amazing. If using the Quest 3 you can go mixed reality on some things. That can really be mind blowing.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    My GFs Son has an Oculus something-or-other VR headset. I don't know any of the details. I need to do some research. It if it would work I might have to get in on this.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Dang it Cedartop now I've got to scrape up some cash so I can spend more time in the basement....

Seriously though does the VR headset cause any motion sickness and/or how long did it take to get comfortable with the set up. Based on the videos looks like you can select a racegun or "regular" gun to use is this correct?

Thanks for sharing. I'm way behind the curve on these things.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Dang it Cedartop now I've got to scrape up some cash so I can spend more time in the basement....

Seriously though does the VR headset cause any motion sickness and/or how long did it take to get comfortable with the set up. Based on the videos looks like you can select a racegun or "regular" gun to use is this correct?

Thanks for sharing. I'm way behind the curve on these things.
    It can cause motion sickness. Due to my prior cases of closed head injury and nerve damage in my neck I appear to be a bit more susceptible to this. I have to be judicious in how much I use it. The guy I work with seems to have no issues in that regard.

Yes there are different guns along with irons or different optics. I am currently using a steel frame PDP with a Holosun 507 Comp. I have not tried the open gun yet since I don't use one IRL.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    do they have a Rogers Range stage on there? That would be interesting to learn the patterns on ACE prior to going to the school. I wonder how much it would benefit in that regard. Looks good, i'll eventually have to try one.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have the VR setup controller is supposed to be here tomorrow.
    Looks interesting

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    do they have a Rogers Range stage on there? That would be interesting to learn the patterns on ACE prior to going to the school. I wonder how much it would benefit in that regard. Looks good, i'll eventually have to try one.
    No, but that would be interesting. They are adding new stuff all of the time. I think they could make that work but who knows if Bill would give them permission.

XDdreams

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    This is interesting. My child won a Quest headset from a school competition and it has been collecting dust. This could finally be a reason to use the damn thing.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Received the controller and have been playing with this for a couple days now.
    The more I get used to it the better I like it.
    I am chair bound for a couple weeks so I cant do a lot of the stages yet. But I think it is a legit training tool and will save on ammo.
    It adds to dry fire practice but doesn't replace it

The controller needs a holster to be more realistic and there are people out there selling them. A standard holster won't work.

So far very positive impression, I am anxious to try it once I am back on my feet.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Received the controller and have been playing with this for a couple days now.
    The more I get used to it the better I like it.
    I am chair bound for a couple weeks so I cant do a lot of the stages yet. But I think it is a legit training tool and will save on ammo.
    It adds to dry fire practice but doesn't replace it

The controller needs a holster to be more realistic and there are people out there selling them. A standard holster won't work.

So far very positive impression, I am anxious to try it once I am back on my feet.
    Agreed that it does not replace regular dry fire. I am using a modified Sign 320 holster with ok results.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Agreed that it does not replace regular dry fire. I am using a modified Sign 320 holster with ok results.
    I have an extra holster. I may have to see if it can be modified.
    Regardless, pretty fun

Top Bottom