• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charless917

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North East Indy
    I have a 14" barrel with 2" perm attached flash. It has a Daniel Defense Omega Rail 7 Carbine on it now. I have a 1x4 scope on it now. I was considering removing the standard front sight, getting a longer free float rail one that replaces the standard delta ring. What do I need to know to be able to do this? I would assume that I would have to get a new gas tube that is the length of what ever size I choose. I was thinking around a 9" one.

So what I think I need to do is:
    1. Remove Front Sight
    2. Add longer gas tube
    3. Attach new gas block (since I remove the front sight/gas block)
    4. Install new rail
    5. Add flip up front sight

I have heard that they make a low profile gas block that some rails goes over so you dont even see it, if that is the case could I not replace the gas tube and attach the block where it is and then slide the rail over it?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have a 14" barrel with 2" perm attached flash. It has a Daniel Defense Omega Rail 7 Carbine on it now. I have a 1x4 scope on it now. I was considering removing the standard front sight, getting a longer free float rail one that replaces the standard delta ring. What do I need to know to be able to do this? I would assume that I would have to get a new gas tube that is the length of what ever size I choose. I was thinking around a 9" one.

So what I think I need to do is:
    1. Remove Front Sight
    2. Add longer gas tube
    3. Attach new gas block (since I remove the front sight/gas block)
    4. Install new rail
    5. Add flip up front sight

I have heard that they make a low profile gas block that some rails goes over so you dont even see it, if that is the case could I not replace the gas tube and attach the block where it is and then slide the rail over it?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

There's a hole in your barrel underneath your current gas block, so unless you replace the barrel you're stuck with the carbine gas system... which isn't a bad thing.

You could dremmel off the front sight post and install a longer rail over it and add a flip sight to the longer rail. That would probably be the easiest route to go...

charless917

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North East Indy
    ok I can leave the gas system the way it is and get a low profile block and most rails will just fit over that? I like the idea of leaving the gas system alone after reading about it a little.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    The biggest problem you are going to run into is getting the FSB off. Since you have a perm attached flash hider you won't be able to slide the gas block off. I think the best bet would to be dremmel your current front sight down to the height of a low pro and install a new rail over it with flip ups.

This is, unless you go to a gunsmith, going to be the least troublesome method.

charless917

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North East Indy
    I did know about the issues with taking the sight off. I had not decided if I want to do it myself or have a gunsmith do it. I do have a dremel and am pretty handy when it comes to working with tools and building things. The idea of grinding it down to allow rail to fit over it doesnt sound that bad. I have heard when grinding on it I should keep the barrel wet so it does not get hot, Does that sound right? The barrel will get hot when shooting so it seems a little odd that a short about of grinding would be an issue as long as I didnt get it red hot.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    ok I can leave the gas system the way it is and get a low profile block and most rails will just fit over that? I like the idea of leaving the gas system alone after reading about it a little.

Correct. If you replace the gas block, you have yo make sure the hole in the barrel is aligned with the hole in the new gas block. Use a pencil to mark where the hole is on the front of the gas block, and draw a straight line down the barrel. That will get you aligned left to right if you're careful (the holes are relatively small). You'll also need to devise a way to measure where the block goes from front to rear; w/o knowing what you have and what you're replacing it with I can't help much other than to say if it's not properly lined up you'll have a single shot. :rolleyes:

I'd give some thought to cutting off the front sight; then you won't have to mess with the gas system at all, it will cost less, and no one will see it under a rifle lenght rail.

Shaving down FSB - AR15.COM
    Should I chop down my FSB or buy a low profile gas block for a new rail? EDIT: more pics pg 2 - AR15.COM
    Cut down FSB so easy a cave man can do it. - AR15.COM
    Cutting the AR-15 A2 Front Sight - THR

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Ah thanks, man if I do end up doing this it would be so much easier if I could remove the sight first, doing this with it still on could be a little harder

I'm planning to do the same thing, but I'm taking mine to a machine shop. I don't have those skills. :yesway:

charless917

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North East Indy
    if I do take this somewhere to have it done where should I take it on the NE side of Indy near Castleton Sq Mall. A friend just had the gunsmith at Gander install his free float rail and they did if for free, but this is a little more work and I do not know the skill level they require for a Gander employee gunsmith

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You could dremmel off the front sight post and install a longer rail over it and add a flip sight to the longer rail. That would probably be the easiest route to go...

I think the best bet would to be dremmel your current front sight down to the height of a low pro and install a new rail over it with flip ups.

Based on your situation described in the OP, I'd go with the method described above. This will be the quickest, easiest, and most simple.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    also could use some recommendations on what rail to get.

You'll want something 9" or longer. As you are probably aware, DD makes some great rails and I highly recommend them. They are pricey, however.

Also take a look at LaRue, Troy, or Spike's Tactical.

What stuff do you normally mount on your rail? What kind of support hand grip do you use? Do you run a VFG?

charless917

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North East Indy
    Right now I just have a Millet DMS 1X4, with a grip pod and flip up backup sights. I think I want to switch it out for the Magpul angled grip and a bipod. Nothing on the sides. If I do make the rail longer than I would have a flip up front sight mounted as well

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    When you do get it put on can you post a picture?

Here was mine.

evan_carbine.jpg

30igy03.jpg

nbd6gx.jpg

ruslk5.jpg

The downside to that rail, for you, is that you'll have to completely remove your barrel to install the proprietary barrel nut, since you can't remove the FSB.

Top Bottom