• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I got lots of looks in the General Firearm thread but no posts. Wasn;t sure where this fit and I think i'll get more feedback here.....;)

So I'll try to keep it short. Just over one year ago, one of my coworkers and an intern, were performing a home contact on a juvenile probationer that was not on her caseload. Unfortunately, it was dark and on the reservation. Street signs are optional at best on the reservation and one can easily knock on the wrong door. Well, that happened, and there was no answer. Following their departure, a pursuit ensued where the PO's (Probation Officers) were the targets. 2 to 3 vehicles were pursuing them and firing rounds at their vehicle. Long story short, they crashed, she got out and drew her weapon and they immediately dropped theres. (please, we know you all would have shot the f'ers...as would have I). I'll attach a link to the article regarding the incident. (FYI, these men have been convicted and are awaiting sentencing in Federal Court...still in custody as well :rockwoot:)

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/crime/article_31da2ef3-4b4e-561b-a7a1-1cbd76a59bfa.html

Article relating to being convicted.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/crime/article_f5da7bfa-54d7-11e0-aa6a-001cc4c03286.html

So, a little bit of info on Juvenile Court policy...

1. Only armed officers (your choice to arm or not) must wear their bullet proof vest.
    2. Officer must conceal their duty belt. So, a long polo or button up shirt is most often chosen by field officers. (duty belt consists of pepper spray, baton, cuffs, and gun/mag pouch for those armed.
    3. We are not issued shirts that have probation or badge on them. We are allowed however to purchase them and wear them if we so choose.
    4. Our county vehicles are not marked and have "undercover plates...i.e standard vehicle plates"

So, in response to the shooting, a "Critical Incident Committee" was formed to discuss current policy. Specifically the ones I just listed.

Our committee last November:dunno: made recommendations as follows to our Administration...

1. We are issued clothing with our badge as "safety equipement" just as they would issue us other safety equipement, such as OC, Baton and Gun.
    2. We have the ability to at a minimum put a county seal magnet on the side of the car if the assigned officer so chooses. (I voted against this, feeling the normal, unmarked car was better)
    3. Most importantly, we strongly recommened officers be allowed to open carry our duty belt. For all the reasons obvious, and the biggest being the ability to quickly and efficiently get to our weapons.

So, here we are in late May and have not heard a single thing back from Administration. Keep in mind, Adult Probation admin made changes immediately including open carry.

What do you guys think? Were our recommendations bad? Do you guys agree with them? Let's open up some discussion here. In case you are wondering, I am a field officer who chooses to carry a firearm.

Top Bottom