• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mattinindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Looking for advice on brand of .40 JHP to use as home defense ammo. Using in a Glock 23. Also where to buy locally. Thanks in advance.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    depending where you are, it usually don't matter to me what jhp I use as long as they are from a reputable ammo maker. Stick with American made...I like the way they usually look better than the cheaper stuff from Russia.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    I buy Federal JHP from Wal-mart or Ranger .40 JHP from Bradis. Not sure which is better but Federal was $21 box at Wal-mart and Ranger was $35 for 2 boxes a Bradis.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    IMO, you don't need a TON of PP ammo. Buy the GOOD stuff. Some pistols can be sensitive to certain HPs too, so make sure your gun eats em before you buy much. IF you are in a neighborhood a .40 may go through your walls into the next house if their is no brick or such to stop it. Consider fractile rounds that will expand quickly or disintegrate in your target. Last thing you want to do is send a round into your neighbors home.... Just a few thoughts. Hope it helps.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    A good bonded bullet is what you want...so there is no jacket seperation.

Remington Golden Saber 165gr is an excellent round.
    I recently switched to Winchester PDX 180gr in my .40 SD gun.

This is just one of the many threads I found researching that made me choose the PDX bullet.

PDX1 is Ranger Bonded.

Pistolcartridge.jpg

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    These are pretty much the same as the PDX1.

Ammunition To Go : 50rds - 40 S&W Winchester 180gr Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point Ammo [Q4369] - $18.95

Jet guns had cases of 1000 rounds for $171 a while back. I posted the deal and several of us picked up some and its just about the same thing as the pdx-1

Heres the thread theres some expasnsion stuff that someone had posted in it as well.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...and_w_180_grain_jhp_1000_rounds_171_49_a.html

Random JHP on the left. PDX1 in the middle. The Q4369 on the right.

topdown.jpg

Top Bottom