• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    Morning all!

I am planning to change out the sites on a SIG P226 and a Glock. I have done some research, videos and reading. I was hoping for some yes / no advice and maybe a couple tool references if you have time.

About me

Shade tree - Mechanic, Carpenter, Plumber, Electrician - I do OK figuring stuff out and putting together well
    Novice Gun guy - Built a couple ARs, re-tapped eskutchen mounts for my 45 and a few other minor mechanical things.

Questions

Changing press in sites doesn't look crazy hard but "look" is the operator. Is this something a well intentioned guy could expect to pull off in an hour or two?
    How bad is it to put a set of sites on a SIG and ensure Mechanical Alignment?
    Where do I measure or gauge? What would be acceptable tolerances?

What kind of press should I get?
    What is the best way to loosen the Hex head in the Front post of the Glock?
    What is the best thread locker for that?

Thanks,

Dave

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    The glock is a piece of cake although you really do need their tool for the front sight...its cheap. other then that a nylon punch will drift out the rear.

Sig on the other hand can be tough sometimes and you will need a sight pusher for the tough ones.
    But while I like my pusher there are others out there I would like to try and mine was to expensive for a one time use. Unless you plan on doing this regularly it is not worth the investment in a quality sight pusher.

You can try to drift the sig with an aluminum punch and a good soft jaw vice and use same procedure reinstalling them.
    But usually it will fall outside a novice comfort zone....However if you do try and scratch the slide I do Cerakote work :) P.S. I can install the sights if you decide it is not for you. The Glock will be no issue just use some blue loc tight on the front screw.

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    Thanks for the advice! If I get ageneric pusher tool I could use it with the G43 too right?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    MDave, sights, on a gun, is sights.....

Sites, is like INGO .....

Just thought I would help you out .....

By the title, I thought we were losing a member .....

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks for the advice! If I get ageneric pusher tool I could use it with the G43 too right?

The G43 wont need a tool and good luck with generic pushers, but give it a go,
    I am not being negitive except toward cheap sight tools, the relief cut on the top half of Sigs slides makes it even harder to hold them and keep
    them from rocking but it can be done.

as far as alignment put them dead center of the slide

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I know I'm late. But, if either of the sights are tritium (night sights) Pay somebody. It's cheap compared to replacements. The vials do break.

Top Bottom