• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I want to get a larger fixed blade to use as a chopper. The knife will probably be used primarily for whacking things made of wood and brush.

Primary criteria:
    1. Blade length 5" or greater
    2. A good balance between edge retention and carbon content, I don't want to have to coat this knife with my tuff cloth every week. I want it to be able to stand up to rust without relatively constant care.
    3. Cheap. The further under $200 I can stay, the happier I'll be.

Currently looking at the ESEE Junglas, Ontario RAT-7, and the Ontario RTAK II, but those are all high carbon content blades as far as I know.

Suggestions?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Those are probably some of your better choices in that price range Or possibly the buck hoodlum. It's 5160 a good carbon tool steel. I will say all the high carbon steels are going to rust if not coated and kept oiled. another possibility is a scrap yard 7-11 or 9-11

If you get up just over 200 bucks check out the bark river bravo 2 and the golok. They both come in A2 a nice steel much more stain resistant. Knife lady can get these too and probably hook you up with a great price. They also come with nice leather sheaths.

Bark River Golok for sale - Blade HQ

Last edited:

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I would say Junglas for sure, But I have also had great luck with the condor line for real bargins. Kumunga and hudson bay knife are my two condor favs for when I dont want to use one of my more spendy choppers. Personal opinion weighs heavily on ones best choice. Just stay away from the ultra chinese or fantasy looking "Dragon slayers" and enjoy whatever you choose.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Scrap Yard 1311, 911, and Dogfather.

They're made in Taiwan, but the Kabar grass machete isn't bad. Knifetests.com did testing on those Taiwan bowies and they did great, and I imagine the heat treat is the same.

Becker BK9, but you need the micarta scale upgrade.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom