• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    Is there an advantage of an AFG on carbine length rails/handguards (more specifically the MOE). I know there is a comfort thing for everyone and all that jazz, but I thought the AFG was intended for longer length handguards.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    makes sense to me sir.
    I didn't understand what you meant at first, so I held up my "invisible AR" and moved my hand from the AFG way out on the longer rail in closer to my body and my hand naturally tilted back to a vertical grip.
    I think you have a point, however, I still like my AFG on my carbine handgaurds :P

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The AFG was indeed designed for the "Mapgul grip", which puts the support hand way out on an extended rail.

afg_8_1-tfb.jpg

afg_6-tfb.jpg

MagpulAFG.jpg

That being said, I've seen guys run it on a carbine-length rail. You don't get the "benefit" that Magpul describes, but it can work.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    In theory then, would thumb-breaking a vfg on a carbine length handguard be the best option since the angle isn't so drastic (the one on the pic is even more dramatic than I see most peopel use)?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Whats the difference?

Three major things that I'm aware of.

1. Its overall length is shorter, taking up less rail-estate.
    2. The angle is steeper, which may be more comfortable on a carbine-length rail.
    3. The front "wings" were removed, allowing for rail panels to be installed on the side rails above (not possible with AFG 1).

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Hmm. Any good reviews of it for carbine length handguards?

IMO, using an AFG on a carbine-length handguard - unless you can run it all the way out to where the front end is off the rail and underneath the gas block - totally defeats the intended purpose of the part. IMO, you'd be better served with a traditional VFG mounted midway to full forward, and using the "thumb break" grip as shown above.

I :): at the guys who bring their guns in to have work done, and they've got an AFG jammed all the way back against the magwell...

I read through some of m4c and it seems to be a lot of fanboys =p

To say the least. Good information there, but also lots of elitist attitude.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    IMO, using an AFG on a carbine-length handguard - unless you can run it all the way out to where the front end is off the rail and underneath the gas block - totally defeats the intended purpose of the part. IMO, you'd be better served with a traditional VFG mounted midway to full forward, and using the "thumb break" grip as shown above.

To say the least. Good information there, but also lots of elitist attitude.
    Thats why I was asking for more reading, as it stands now I think I'll get a vfg when the busy season hits.

Yea, I'm the "broke-college-kid" and I'm afraid of posting on there asking about optics. I know they'll just tell me to get a T1 =p

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Yea, I'm the "broke-college-kid"

I usually subscribe to the "cry once" theory, but I do keep my eyes (and mind) open. I just picked up one of these: Leapers, Inc. - Hunting/Shooting, Sporting Goods and Security Gear

It's surprisingly well made, and I paid less than $25. The cap has a spring in it to keep a battery from rattling around and is o-ring sealed, I have CR123 battery in mine. The top of the cavity has a non-conductive foam piece to prevent discharge; I prodded and metered it. I don't know if it's made of the same Unobtainium as, say, a Tango Down but it sure seems strong. Time will tell!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Not sure if this helps you or not:

DSC_0005.jpg

Same rifle, showing the location of the AFG. I've changed rail covers since the photo above.

DSC08303.jpg

I have mine mounted on an extended carbine rail that covers the bottom of the front sight/gas block. It could stand to be a slot or two farther forward when shooting standing, but it actually seems to work pretty good where it is for an all around place to put my support hand. It actually works very well when shooting kneeling or prone.

For some very fast engagements I actually find myself using a magwell hold than anything else, and the AFG is far enough forward to be out of the way for that.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    Save your money.

Get an H1 instead. ;):D
    FUUUUU

I subscribe to the, a gun is better than no gun theory. I try not to buy crap, but saving up forever to get a Mercedes instead of buying a car that gets me to work everyday is counterproductive. Catch my drift? =p

Is that midlength though?

Top Bottom