• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rthatchjr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hello all, I have a S@W 686-2 that I am having problems finding aftermarket grips for
    I tried the Hogue monogrips, which I really like but they are a no go so far, they don't fit right for some reason,
    what I am after is a slim recoil absorbing grip made for C.C.
    any ideas or suggestions?
    Thank you in advance!

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    My suggestion would buy a cheep set then customize them with bondo /cut to what you like . then talk to a custom grip maker to make a set from your pattern.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    For recoil reduction, try Pachmayer (sp) Professional. I personally like the Eagle Secret Service style grip with checkering.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    IIRC 686-2 is still a square butt....You are blessed to have one of the most popular grip frames ever and have 80 plus years of grip design and aftermarket grips to choose from.....Kirk and I both have done this (and I am not knocking Kirk's but mine look a little better) is to find an old set of Herret Shooting Stars and get out the rasp...I take off all of the checkering and the thumbrests on top and then taper the grips down towards the bottom where they are fatter on top and taper down to just below the grip frame....Sort of the Dolly Parton style of grips...Big up north and dern near nada down south.....I have also done a version of "poor boy coke bottle grips" by giving the grips the shape of Ginger on Gilligan's Island with her hips acting as your palm swell..(Forgive my analogies but I just left the Yoga pants thread in the break room and me mind is befuddled...)

Or you could go with (my personal favorite) the classic service grips with a Tyler T grip which I find works fine (up to .357 magnum...)

I have "nice" guns but these are my "farm" guns that get packed three days a week in any weather....K 22's and N Frame's have become so collectible that I found me a couple of "beaters" for packing around...The model 29 has been replaced with a "beater" S&W 19-3 and it, along with an old Marlin 1894 in .357 Magnum are my "tool" guns for copperheads, coyotes, meth heads and such....

Last edited:

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Like you, I don't find that Hogue mono-grips fit me well. I use Pachmeyer, especially the Professional series. They have various styles with both exposed and covered back-strap. I like the exposed back-strap style because I have short fingers compared to my hand size. At least they offer several options, one of them is bound to fit.

Top Bottom