• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 68kidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hanover
    Know of any good cases for air travel . I found some , but reviews are not that good. I am going to Vegas in a few months . I don't like the TSA models where they can open locks. any thoughts/ input is greatly appreciated

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Air travel??

Know of any good cases for air travel . I found some , but reviews are not that good. I am going to Vegas in a few months . I don't like the TSA models where they can open locks. any thoughts/ input is greatly appreciated

Our oldest Daughter is in Montana, our youngest Son is in Ft. Lauderdale Fl.-we have flown each way several times=Of course WITH handguns.

I bought my hard case at Gander Mtn. It holds two (CZ-75 and S&W Model 60) with room for some ammo.
    My model has rings on the latches for my small pad locks on each end, and serves us well.

BTW: By the Federal law, TSA CAN NOT open your hard case on their own-You ONLY as said owner of the firearms can (MUST) have key/combo to the lock(s) on the HARD CASE.

Go to the TSA web site, and the airline, that you are using site, and review the specs on the rules/laws.

A TSA approved lock MUST be on your outer/suitcase, for their inspection along the way, but ONLY you should have access to the hard case.

Some airlines let you have ammo INSIDE of the hard case, and some do not-STRICTLY their policy-NOT law.

On the 6-8 times we have done this all went well. In a few cases, I actually needed to explain the rules/laws to the ticket agent, as to where the orange card needed to go, etc., but in general, all went fine.

As a side comment, it will pay for you to print out/carry with you a copy of the TSA/Airline rules/policy to carry with you on your person, in case needed to educate an Airline employee. Most of the TSA people that I have dealt with pretty much know their rules.

I hope this helps...Bill.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Review of OP????

In review=I guessed that you were referring to hand guns--If a long gun, you can check in it's own hard case (Not in suitcase), by itself, with, I think locks on each end-NO TSA accessed lock. Check the TSA rules, I have never flown with long guns??

Hell, as far as that goes=OP did NOT even say that they are referring to FIREARMS---If you are just taking COOKIES with you, you do NOT need any hard case, or locks??? HA HA....Bill.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I used a Plano case that was made for carrying handguns.
    I used padlocks on it there are NOT TSA approved. My understanding from reading the TSA site is that you are the only who is supposed to be able to access the box. They are supposed to have access to your bag, but only you are to have access to the case holding your gun. I've even called and talked to them on the phone and got the same answer.
    However, I talked to other people who say they've heard differently on who should could have access. So that's for what's it worth.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Posted by Billybob44 I bought my hard case at Gander Mtn. It holds two (CZ-75 and S&W Model 60) with room for some ammo.

Not condeming or judging just asking a question
    I thought that ammo was to be shipped in a SEPERATE piece of luggage not with the weapons.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I thought that ammo was to be shipped in a SEPERATE piece of luggage not with the weapons.
    Some airlines are that way, but the FAA regulations say they can be in the same container as long as the ammo is in a container designed for ammo and it protects the primers. The original box is usually ok, but check with the airline.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have always used a Pelican 17"x11"x5" case. So far I have never had any problems to speak of. You sure don't have to worry about a damaged gun either.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have always used a Pelican 17"x11"x5" case. So far I have never had any problems to speak of. You sure don't have to worry about a damaged gun either.

+1 to anything made by Pelican or some of the close knock-offs. I fly frequently with handguns and just double padlock them. Only once was I called to the security office past the screening area for my key. I had two and told them just lock the other key inside when done inspecting (some padlocks won't let you do that though).

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I just went through all of this on a hunting trip. We flew to Washington state 3 guys 3 guns in 2 cases.

ATF states that:

• Firearms must be in a hard sided cases. (a $6 plano case works.) ATF approved cases are a joke.

• Locks do not have to be TSA locks. I do not use them. Everyone has access to TSA keys so it's really not worth having locks. If/when they need to look in it they will page you over the loudspeaker; they did this to us.
    • Ammo is to be stored in a case made for ammo. No storing ammo in magazines. or inside the gun
    All in all it went really smooth with the guns.

red68ss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    I have flown several times with handguns and long guns and everytime I have used tsa locks each time and have never had an issue. For my handgun I have used the manufactures hard case and kept my ammo in the factory boxes. For my long guns I used tsa locks and a pelican double rifle case. I stored my ammo, hunting knives and other gear in it and have never had any issues. The tsa officers where very polite and nothing has gone missing from the boxes.
    The only problem is that sometimes their master keys dont work and they have asked for the combination. But flying has been easy with them so far.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Airline Policys??

Posted by Billybob44 I bought my hard case at Gander Mtn. It holds two (CZ-75 and S&W Model 60) with room for some ammo.

The ammo can be in the hard case (in original box or ammo box) on SOME airlines, and not on others. As I said, review the air carrier that you are using.

We have used Delta, and AmericanTrans Air, and they have two exactly different policies on if ammo can be in hard case, or not..Bill.

Top Bottom