• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    Reading on forums I hear that anyone doing an AK build or putting together their rifle has to do it themselves by law but I also hear people offering gunsmith services to do the work. I'm trying to get an idea on what kind of work can be done on an AK rifle. I assume any kind of receiver work is out which sadly is what I'm having the most trouble with. What about headspacing and barrel population? I'm trying to do an RPK build and I've spent way too much on my mess ups and just want to get the thing done. Nodak Spud hasn't had any Romanian RPK receivers in stock for a long time other wise I'd just get one of those.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    If they are an actual gunsmith then the results are way different vs joe-bob the gun smith.

As far as actual work to be done it varies based on different FFL types

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    So actual gunsmiths carry a license that allows them to do the work on the receiver. Would love to find me one of those gunsmiths. Too many are specialized in ARs and not AKs/FALs/Galils etc.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    A commercial builder would be a manufacturer. And would have to be licensed as such. As an individual you can build your own, or farm it out to a manufacturer. You have to use a certain number of US manufactured parts in a rifle build

Example: I can not build your rifle for you. No one can except a licensed manufacturer. There are build party's that happen from time to time. But you have to build your own. Others are just around to point out mistakes and give tips, share tools and work on there projects. That's the limit. No hands on by anyone other then the owner of the gun and or kit while it is being assembled. This is the law.

Once your rifle is build you can have someone go "hands on" working out the bugs. There are a lot of AK knowledgeable guys on this forum. Use the form search function and look for AK build party. There is plenty of info in the threads.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I wont get much into the legalities but fll that offers gunsmithing would have the necessary credentials... Knowledge/skill maybe maybe not?..... But one thing i can do is walk you through your build issues..... most of us like myself that build ak's understand these are very forgiving platforms and most mistakes/screw ups are easily corrected

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    A commercial builder would be a manufacturer. And would have to be licensed as such. As an individual you can build your own, or farm it out to a manufacturer. You have to use a certain number of US manufactured parts in a rifle build

Example: I can not build your rifle for you. No one can except a licensed manufacturer. There are build party's that happen from time to time. But you have to build your own. Others are just around to point out mistakes and give tips, share tools and work on there projects. That's the limit. No hands on by anyone other then the owner of the gun and or kit while it is being assembled. This is the law.

Once your rifle is build you can have someone go "hands on" working out the bugs. There are a lot of AK knowledgeable guys on this forum. Use the form search function and look for AK build party. There is plenty of info in the threads.

There's a bit of confusion here:

In order to build and sell you must be a Class 7. For example I get a large lot of receivers, turn them into functioning firearms, I must be a Class 7.

However, if someone brings me a receiver and a bag o parts, I can assemble them with my Class 1 FFL.

That's the way it was explained to me by my ATF agent.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    There's a bit of confusion here:

In order to build and sell you must be a Class 7. For example I get a large lot of receivers, turn them into functioning firearms, I must be a Class 7.

However, if someone brings me a receiver and a bag o parts, I can assemble them with my Class 1 FFL.

That's the way it was explained to me by my ATF agent.

The info I have from weapons guild (lots of 01 ans 07's over there) is if they bring you a transferable weapon, IE a nodac Spud 100% receiver you can assemble it. You would not be a manufacturer. As an example a Nodac Spud 100% would be ok for you to build. You are just assembling.

Putting a flat and a pile of parts together is manufacturing. It isn't a weapon until it can receive a bolt and hold a FGC. Then it is a transferable weapon. That's is not covered under your 01. Building that is manufacturing.

This is what I am interpreting from the info on weaponsguild. I am not a lawyer. So don't take my words as gospel. A call to you agent would be the best bet. Make sure you clear in stating that it is coming to you in a non tranferable form. Just a flat and a pile of parts and that you would be manufacturing the weapon (you would be at that point).

Please call them and post back their response to you. It would answer a lot of questions.

FWIW, I'd love to be wrong about this.

Added info:
    Type 1 FFL is a Title 1 dealer or gunsmith
    Type 2 FFL is a Title 1 dealer doing business as a pawnbroker
    Type 3 FFL is a licensed collector of Curio & Relic (C&R) firearms
    Type 6 FFL is a licensed maker of ammunition and reloading components other than Armor Piercing ammunition
    Type 7 FFL is a Title 1 manufacturer of firearms, ammunition and ammunition components other than NFA, Destructive Devices and Armor Piercing ammunition
    Type 8 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms and ammunition
    Type 9 FFL is a dealer in Title 1 firearms including NFA destructive devices, but no other NFA
    Type 10 FFL is a manufacturer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and ammunition components, including NFA Destructive Devices but no other NFA, and not including Armor Piercing ammunition
    Type 11 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and NFA Destructive Devices, but no other NFA

To get a Class 3 SOT status, you need a dealer or manufacturer FFL which includes Type 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11 - and pay a yearly $500 tax due every July 1st.
    To get a Class 2 SOT status, you need a manufacturer FFL, which includes Type 7, 10 - and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small manufacturers) tax due every July 1st.
    To get a Class 1 SOT status, you need an importer FFL, which includes Type 8, 11- and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small importers) tax due every July 1st.

Last edited:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Good info! To the OP, keep an eye out for a build party, definitely worth your time. There are some ak experts that lurk on these boards. They should be able to answer about anything you can think of! As far as a local Smith that does AKs, I'm not sure of any. Maybe someone can chime in.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    And even if a smith does AKs, it doesn't mean they have the tools for an RPK. They are a little different and harder to put together. Clay and I can help you at a build party though.

Top Bottom