• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    While I agree with the article, and this mirrors a lot of what Glen Zediker preaches, to me it always comes down to the weakest link (and it seems as if there always is one for me!).

If you talk to the benchrest guys, *everything* is important! :rockwoot:

Good, well prepared brass is right up there, but I think the article assumes some of basics have already been taken care of. As mentioned in the article, optics have a huge influence as well. What about the shooter's skill? The barrel? Has the gun been beaded? Etc.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I can't get around the distraction of the comment:
    *"If the goal is sub MOA at 100 yards, pretty much any brass in a decent*rifle*will accomplish that goal. If you are wanting sub MOA at 500, 700, 1K, that bulk Remchester is probably gonna let you down."

I think i know what he means but i have to ignore my understanding of moa to decipher it. If you are x moa at 100 yards and x+ y moa at a greater distance then you have an external ballistic issue right?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    *"If the goal is sub MOA at 100 yards, pretty much any brass in a decent*rifle*will accomplish that goal. If you are wanting sub MOA at 500, 700, 1K, that bulk Remchester is probably gonna let you down."

I think i know what he means but i have to ignore my understanding of moa to decipher it. If you are x moa at 100 yards and x+ y moa at a greater distance then you have an external ballistic issue right?

I think he's talking more about the exponential exacerbation of the issue.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I guess I'm not cut out for the long range reloading game. I would much rather load Hornady, Winchester or Remington(if desperate enough) that will actually accept a primer than an undeniably beautiful Norma case which half the time doesn't want to accept one even after chamferring the primer pocket.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

I think you're right...once the bullet leaves the muzzle and has traveled 100 yards, the cartridge case no longer has ANYTHING to do with the results you get at 500, 700 or whatever. The die is cast, so to speak. He may have meant to say, "If the goal is MOA at 100 yards....sub MOA at 500, 700, etc." That is not what he wrote, though, and as it's written, it argues for a better bullet, not a better case.

I have achieved MOA from a hunting rifle with various types of brass. I've achieved 1/3 MOA with carefully sorted and prepped Winchester brass from a heavy-barreled Savage M10 FLP. I can't really tell you how the hunting rifle ammo performs at 300 yards or more, but the 155gr A-Max retains it's accuracy (under an inch at 300 yards) from the Winchester brass. Brass prep is a worthwhile endeavor, but it would take a lot to convince me that very expensive brass is always "better".

Top Bottom