• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    My new lifetime warranty Stanley Shovel snapped like a tooth pick today. :xmad:

We have about 90 4 foot tall Green Giants to plant ( Walmart marked them down from $35.00 each to a price I could not pass up. Noticed an all steel shovel on Amazon says its welded and does not flex. Anyone have any experience with using them? If so do they hold up?

Thanks

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    As someone who has shoveled for the last 18 yrs doing construction I prefer a wood handle shovel. The best one I've used is from Lowes its called something like King socket or super socket. The socket on the shovel head is longer than a normal shovel where the handle goes into the head, and they seem to hold up better.

Now after saying that, if you are going to be digging where any electric is, you need a fiberglass handled shovel. Wood and steel will conduct electricity and you can get zapped.
    A steel handled one will also be heavy, the heaviest of the three.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    As someone who has shoveled for the last 18 yrs doing construction I prefer a wood handle shovel. The best one I've used is from Lowes its called something like King socket or super socket. The socket on the shovel head is longer than a normal shovel where the handle goes into the head, and they seem to hold up better.

Now after saying that, if you are going to be digging where any electric is, you need a fiberglass handled shovel. Wood and steel will conduct electricity and you can get zapped.
    A steel handled one will also be heavy, the heaviest of the three.
    No utilities in sight. We have a lot of rock though and some heavy clay. I am still Torqued off as my brand new Stanley shovel lasted all of 30 days. When it snapped it looked like the wood part extended about two inches beyond the metal shovel head then it had a fiberglass handle.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I agree, when I dig I use two, a long wood handle round head to remove dirt and a long wood handle square to square up. If yoy need to loosen rock and clay get a good garden maddox.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I agree, when I dig I use two, a long wood handle round head to remove dirt and a long wood handle square to square up. If yoy need to loosen rock and clay get a good garden maddox.

I prefer a tile spade for loosening up hard soil. We refer to them at work as a sharp shooter

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    For 90 trees I'd use a backhoe or the post hole attachment. Time to phone a friend.
    where is the fun in that lol. Besides who needs the gym. They marked them down to $3.00 each. So we loaded up the old F250. We priced a post hole digger for the tractor a while back they appear to be sold separately and the augger was close to $400 so its the shovel for me.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    My new lifetime warranty Stanley Shovel snapped like a tooth pick today. :xmad:

Thanks

Take it back in for an exchange? May have just been a bad stick. I picked up a post hole digger a few years back, my son snapped one of the handles on something like the 3rd jab. Took it back and haven't had a problem since. Or just find a decent handle and put it on yourself.

Rentals are not that much.

Nope. With the post hole digger my son got from our local rental for his Eagle Scout project, it would make short work. It was a "one man" model. It was wheeled and you just rolled it to where you wanted it. Looked something like this.
    one-man1.jpg

might look into the wood grain on the handle of whatever tool you get that resembles a chunk of metal on the end of a stick. Even decent names will hang an axe (I like a fine axe) on a crappy stick. You can save yourself a headache by looking before you leap.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j5UH0Y4KurY

When you put as many handles on as these companies do, it's pretty much guaranteed a few crappy ones will slip through.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I use a fiskars metal round point. Alot. Broke the weld after years of abuse. Shot a pic and sent it to fiskars and they mailed me a new one 3 days later.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ...an older well taken care of shovel...

Don't forget to sharpen your shovel. Particularly if dealing with roots and clay. Did a neighborhood project this weekend. I sharpened my shovel before going to work with the group, cut through plant roots like butter. Others brought shovels that were crap when they bought them and had dull/bent edges.

Top Bottom