• ...and so much more!
  • Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I had something similar happen while attending a three day Gunsite class in Lebanon.
    The sheriff told us which places to avoid because they were rowdy and which ones were safe. After the second
    night I went out to one of the suggested safe places to eat. There were a few loud bangs which put
    me high on red alert. Didn't draw but it was close and my hand was ready. Ended up being
    women having a birthday party and they were popping balloons.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I had a similar experience of reacting to training when not really necessary. Big exception: I wasn't carrying a gun. History: This was 1983 and I had recently come back to Indiana from a 4+ year deployment to West Germany with the 1st Armored Division. We had monthly "ALERT" drills: fake 'Are you ready for war?' practice sessions. At least once a year, we did total bug-outs. Twice during my time there, we actually drew weapons, trigger mechanisms for M60A3 tanks, and all the ammo from our bunkers. We took our status as first line defense of the Fulda gap (most likely location of Soviet ground invasion) extremely seriously. I was a section Sergeant and held my squad to the highest standards.

Back in the States, one day I got in the car and turned on the radio. I missed the warning that the station was going to test the Emergency Broadcast Alert Notification System. All I heard was the high-pitched, screaming squeal of the actual test. I went immediately into "ALERT" mode. I gotta: get to the barracks, wake everyone up, open the squad room, make sure everyone has the NBC Warfare Gear, get two cargo trucks to the ammo dump, get two fuel trucks to the tank park, yadda-yadda. My entire body was in Fight/Flight mode. It took me about 5 seconds to come back to reality, but it was one of the most intense experiences of my life. I had stopped the car in traffic, was sweating profusely, and right on the edge of losing it completely. When I recovered, I was shaking like a leaf, crying, bawling, sobbing uncontrollably. My wife had to drive home. Training taking over is not ALWAYS a good thing.

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I had a similar experience of reacting to training when not really necessary. Big exception: I wasn't carrying a gun. History: This was 1983 and I had recently come back to Indiana from a 4+ year deployment to West Germany with the 1st Armored Division. We had monthly "ALERT" drills: fake 'Are you ready for war?' practice sessions. At least once a year, we did total bug-outs. Twice during my time there, we actually drew weapons, trigger mechanisms for M60A3 tanks, and all the ammo from our bunkers. We took hour status as first line defense of the Fulda gap (most likely location of Soviet ground invasion) extremely seriously. I was a section Sergeant and held my squad to the highest standards.

Back in the States, one day I got in the car and turned on the radio. I missed the warning that the station was going to test the Emergency Broadcast Alert Notification System. All I heard was the high-pitched, screaming squeal of the actual test. I went immediately into "ALERT" mode. I gotta: get to the barracks, wake everyone up, open the squad room, make sure everyone has the NBC Warfare Gear, get two cargo trucks to the ammo dump, get two fuel trucks to the tank park, yadda-yadda. My entire body was in Fight/Flight mode. It took me about 5 seconds to come back to reality, but it was one of the most intense experiences of my life. I had stopped the car in traffic, was sweating profusely, and right on the edge of losing it completely. When I recovered, I was shaking like a leaf, crying, bawling, sobbing uncontrollably. My wife had to drive home. Training taking over is not ALWAYS a good thing.

Sometimes it can seem like a pretty fine line between trained response and ptsd.

Top Bottom