• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So I built my first lower. It went together well, and easier than I thought. I realized I made a logistics goof and started swapping my ambi parts to this new and better lower. (dont have the funds for more ambi stuff ATM so I figured I would ambi what I would be shooting most and maybe eventually making both rifles ambidextrous.)

During the swap I pulled the trigger with the safety on, and it didnt feel right. Too much movement. On a whim I moved the selector to fire and *WHAM* hammer flew forward. Hmmm.... It happens every time. Replaced the safety, same thing.

Looks like its time to replace an out of spec trigger. :(

Test it before you load it, folks.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    This is a good warning folks. When you reassemble any firearm, always do a full safety and function check. Remember that you are dealing with a mechanical device that can fail in a variety of ways...with potentially deadly consequences.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Found the problem. During the build, my buddy offered to swap my brand new ALG ACT trigger for his ACT trigger that he removed from his rifle for a Geiselle upgrade. His was already broken in and had a lighter spring so it made sense at the time.

I picked up my trigger kit to swap it out for testing and when I sat his trigger down next to my factory trigger, the difference was obvious. Apparently he forgot he performed some surgery on the trigger to work better in his build. (why, I havent found out yet.)

Here is what I found. That missing material allowed the trigger to travel JUST enough...

IMG_1852.JPG

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Man, I would make sure you never use your buddies parts anymore, and keep you own junk!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Man, I would make sure you never use your buddies parts anymore, and keep you own junk!

Meh. He's a good guy. Honest mistake. I'll continue on course. (which also includes the exact same testing I would do with factory parts)

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Meh. He's a good guy. Honest mistake. I'll continue on course. (which also includes the exact same testing I would do with factory parts)

10-4, I'm just happy you caught it man! Could have been bad in the wrong situation!

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I have done that with a two stage trigger. Fit it for one lower and in the other one it had "issues" with the safety and still being able to fire. I threw it in the trash. Not going to risk getting someone hurt over $100.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Found the problem. During the build, my buddy offered to swap my brand new ALG ACT trigger for his ACT trigger that he removed from his rifle for a Geiselle upgrade. His was already broken in and had a lighter spring so it made sense at the time.

I picked up my trigger kit to swap it out for testing and when I sat his trigger down next to my factory trigger, the difference was obvious. Apparently he forgot he performed some surgery on the trigger to work better in his build. (why, I havent found out yet.)

Here is what I found. That missing material allowed the trigger to travel JUST enough...

View attachment 44564

It looks like he trimmed it down to clear the safety catch. Some combinations of makers require pulling the safety out to replace the trigger assembly. Some guys think it is harmless and faster to just trim the trigger where it interferes.

sharold762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Southernhoosierville
    Good thing you caught that in time
    I was replacing a firing pin on a walther ppk
    Got the whole gun back together,seemed to function fine so i needed to test to see if the pistol would chamber a round.Long story short i needed a round firing pin instead of a square one and ened up shooting a hole through my office wall.Scared the crap outta me but i eventually got the gun to work like it should

Top Bottom