• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    That hates when they go to do a FTF and find out the gun has different grips than factory and the owner doesnt have original grips?

I recently went to do a FTF for a .357 S&W J frame, and the original owner decided to put Pachmyr grips on it... and I quote... "Cause they thought it looked better that way than with the original wood grips".

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    That hates when they go to do a FTF and find out the gun has different grips than factory and the owner doesnt have original grips?

I recently went to do a FTF for a .357 S&W J frame, and the original owner decided to put Pachmyr grips on it... and I quote... "Cause they thought it looked better that way than with the original wood grips".

Did you ask that before you went? Or did he have the originals on and changed them before he sold it to you? Did you see pictures before the meet?

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Did you ask that before you went? Or did he have the originals on and changed them before he sold it to you? Did you see pictures before the meet?

I asked everything from "does it have the original grips" to "does it have any pitting" to "have you polished any parts such as the frame or cylinder", basically all important or potentially important questions.

I even asked if he had pictures, to which he sent me the original pictures of the gun prior to modifying it (he changed the grips, polished everything, and had done what I assume was a homemade attempt to put a rail on it vial a dremel tool).

I went to the meeting (approximately 50 miles from my residency), to see his "transformed" .357, and he decided he wanted more than what we had initially agreed upon.

I left utterly disgusted and sickened.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I asked everything from "does it have the original grips" to "does it have any pitting" to "have you polished any parts such as the frame or cylinder", basically all important or potentially important questions.

I even asked if he had pictures, to which he sent me the original pictures of the gun prior to modifying it (he changed the grips, polished everything, and had done what I assume was a homemade attempt to put a rail on it vial a dremel tool).

I went to the meeting (approximately 50 miles from my residency), to see his "transformed" .357, and he decided he wanted more than what we had initially agreed upon.

I left utterly disgusted and sickened.

And I hope without a new gun. If I set something up and describe it I will show up with it and how it was described.

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    And I hope without a new gun. If I set something up and describe it I will show up with it and how it was described.

I left sans new gun. The fact he thought I would spend big bucks on something cause he thought it was "cool and unique" is rediculous. I wouldnt have been as insulted if he'd kicked me in the shin and called my grandmother a W$%^%.

Hopefully I'll have better luck next time.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I swap grips but I always keep the originals and include them when I sell. Does it bother me a little when they swap out grips? A little, but if its grips that I would have put on there anyway I just talk down the price....

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Sorry to hear of the bad experience. If it was here on INGO make sure you follow the I Trader system so we all know.

And it is wrong to falsely give wrong pics, lies as statements and so on. And asking for more after an agreed price is ridiculous. Only way it would be worse is if he just didn't show and let you sit there wondering.

Good luck next time.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    A little bit different, but a couple years ago I drove to Alabama to buy a car from a dealer that had it listed on cars.com. They said it was a non smoker, but when I got down there (9 hour drive) there were burn holes in the leather and nicotine stains all over the headliner. SO DISAPPOINTED AND ANGRY! I feel your pain.

Then they tried to keep my $500 deposit. I got it back a week later.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sorry to hear of the bad experience. If it was here on INGO make sure you follow the I Trader system so we all know.

And it is wrong to falsely give wrong pics, lies as statements and so on. And asking for more after an agreed price is ridiculous. Only way it would be worse is if he just didn't show and let you sit there wondering.

Good luck next time.

I agree with that.
    You dont change the price at the last minute after you agreed on something.A deal is a deal.
    And if by any chance I forgot to say something to the buyer, like that I dont have the original grips I would probably lower my price to apologise.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Sorry to hear that Newtothis. I have to say that I have had 4 or 5 FTF transactions with INGO members this summer and everyone was a positive experience.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Unfortunately I've had plenty of transactions and the guns were dirty like they hadn't been cleaned after multiple shootings. I also had someone tell me that their girlfriend threw away a stock after we had agreed on a deal. I mean come one. My girlfriend likes to clean up the house, but would never throw away a stock or anything that might be needed for anything else without asking first. This blatant lie on top of trying to compensate by getting a discount through the manufacturer( a supposed friend) that did not happen really ticked me off. I have no problem if you need to change the date and time of a transaction, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    Change the price already agreed upon = bad form, changing the gun after the deal is made = bad form.

I've done 2 FTF deals, both arranged on INGO. No problems with either one. Got to meet a couple of nice people and the daughter of one member. (She was a nice girl about 6 years old and quite a talker!)

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Grips vs. Price

I'd have been a lot hotter about the seller trying to jack the agreed upon price than I would about the grips. Doesn't sound like a person I would want to deal with.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I have only done one FTF deal arranged here on :ingo: the gun was exactly as pictured and came with extra stuff too:rockwoot:I gave the seller a very favorable review and would do business with him again. That said I can understand the OP being :xmad: I would be.

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    DRob, the grips were the tip of the iceberg. The price and other "transformations" were what resulted in me feeling ill as I left.

Top Bottom