• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    PTAC 16" 5.56mm 1:7 Carbine Length M4 Profile - w/ BCG & Charging Handle

That seems like a deal too good to pass up. I would be pairing this up with a:

LW-15 Complete Polymer Lower [LW-15 Complete (Standard)] - $119.00 : New Frontier Armory - Firearm Sales, Transfers, Ammunition, Gear and More!

That is a $408 AR minus shipping and transfer. Another option would be:

AR-15 M4 Carbine Rifle by MMC - Long Guns

This would be a new range toy and plinker. The reviews from all of them sound like they run fine and are safe. Seems like a great way to get into the AR world. Seems like I can upgrade parts if I want to or am I wasting my time on this and should just buy a nicer ~$700+ complete rifle?

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    Give it a whirl. If you like it keep it. I'd you don't you can sell or have a $450 AR. Too many times we put too much on what others think instead of seeing what works best. If it works for you then great. If it doesn't work out...$450 life lessons are pretty cheap! Then save up the money for the $700 AR.

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    I would like to know someone personally who has a poly lower..... I don't know how much I trust them for the long haul. That's just me and not trying to sway you either way.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would only use one of those for a .22 rifle. You can risk the $450 or have more of a guarantee at $700.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I was looking into a poly lower, complete, for 120. But PSA put a premium lower decked out with MOE furniture for 169. Im willing to pay that little but more, and wait abit. I dont have anything wrong with poly, I carry a glock everyday, but Ill wait awhile, until I feel comfortable enough to get one for an AR.

FYI, this is my first AR build, so this is really just my opinion..

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    I too was hesitant on the polymer lower. The reviews that I have read have seen 500+ rounds with no signs of wear. PSA has great one day deals and will be monitoring that to see about a cheap lower. Thanks for the feedback.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I got in on that upper today, although I am going to pair it with...

This receiver:

Anderson Lower Receiver

and this LPK:

Palmetto State Armory Enhanced Lower Build Kit - Black

And add a PMAG.

Upper- $289.99
    Reciever- $49.99
    LPK- $79.99
    Shipping- $29.00
    Trans Fee- $15.00
    PMAG- $12.00

Total- $475.97

I will have my first scary gun for $475.97. Not bad at all and the reviews on PSA seem pretty favorable for all these parts.

Last edited:

cubstuff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Indiana
    How hard are lowers and uppers to assembly together? If this something that an experienced gunsmith needs to do, or is it something that your normal person can assemble? Thanks.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    f you're talking about assembling the upper to the lower it's just popping in two pins. If you're talking about assembling a lower it's simple. You need a stock wrench to put on a carbine stock. And a couple of roll pin punches makes it a whole lot easier but aren't absolutely necessary.
    As for the upper it depends on how much assembling you intend to do. You need a barrel wrench, vise jaws and should use a torque wrench to put a barrel on an upper. And I'd check the headspace as well with the proper gauge(s). Installing a barrel extension (usually already installed) or a taper pinned front sight to a barrel requires some special tools as well. But the rest is just putting the right pieces in the proper places.
    I'd say give it a try. Any instructions are available on line. And it's good to know the ins and outs for cleaning and diagnosis of any future troubles you may encounter.
    I'd say it's easier than putting brakes on a car and that's not that bad of a job itself.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    f you're talking about assembling the upper to the lower it's just popping in two pins. If you're talking about assembling a lower it's simple. You need a stock wrench to put on a carbine stock. And a couple of roll pin punches makes it a whole lot easier but aren't absolutely necessary.
    As for the upper it depends on how much assembling you intend to do. You need a barrel wrench, vise jaws and should use a torque wrench to put a barrel on an upper. And I'd check the headspace as well with the proper gauge(s). Installing a barrel extension (usually already installed) or a taper pinned front sight to a barrel requires some special tools as well. But the rest is just putting the right pieces in the proper places.
    I'd say give it a try. Any instructions are available on line. And it's good to know the ins and outs for cleaning and diagnosis of any future troubles you may encounter.
    I'd say it's easier than putting brakes on a car and that's not that bad of a job itself.

Not sure why people tell others to do this. Checking headspace is done when the barrel extension is put on. Once the barrel extension is on you can't "change" headspacing if it's off. Best bet is to check with go/no-go gauge

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Not sure why people tell others to do this. Checking headspace is done when the barrel extension is put on. Once the barrel extension is on you can't "change" headspacing if it's off. Best bet is to check with go/no-go gauge

We tell people to do this because if you put enough of them together sooner or later you'll get one that doesn't check out. And you can sometimes "change" it by swapping the bolt or the carrier. I've been putting these things together for 25 years. Most of the time they check out fine. But not always!
    As far as the go/no-go gauge suggestion.......what the hell did you think I was referring to when I said check it with the proper gauges???

Top Bottom