• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Question:

How does the legality of this work out? Shouldn't IN state preemption laws cover this?

Or does it not matter because technically a sling isn't a firearm, it's a strip of leather...? Or.....?

picture.php

Has anyone else seen this before?

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Wow. That's weird. Since when has South Bend been a destination where online distributors can't ship firearms accessories?

Something's fishy here ... you can't order a rifle sling on Amazon because you live in SB? :dunno:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    South Bend's law ("hi-cap ban") was never valid to begin with, AFAIK; it missed the cutoff date - South Bend hurried and passed the hi-cap law when the legislature was passing a law to prevent political subdivisions from making their own gun laws, but the law had a grandfather clause... but the grandfather clause then had an amendment to make the date retroactive to Jan 1, so it prevented South Bend's law from ever being valid... IIRC... it was a long time ago.

And yes, state preemption makes it doubly null and void; maybe you can contact the seller and show him/her the new law so they will change their outdated rules.

And no (not that you asked), it never covered firearm accessories, except for hi-cap mags, but many sellers who have their panties in a wad just copy other people's restrictions and apply them carte blanche without ever looking into anything for themselves.

CMac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    B-town
    Does it allow you to order it anyway, or does it check the address you put in? Just order it if you can and hope for the best? This seems really dumb.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Might be worth contacting Amazon and explaining that the South Bend law is invalid. If that doesn't work, there's plenty of other places to buy a sling other than Amazon.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Might be worth contacting Amazon and explaining that the South Bend law is invalid. If that doesn't work, there's plenty of other places to buy a sling other than Amazon.

Good luck with that. I'm not sure you could do that easily even WITH your lawyer sending it over all official-like.

Probably MUCH cheaper to simply find it somewhere else. Tried Brownells, Midwest, etc?

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Wow.. never saw that before... I knew South Bend is one of the strictest in Indiana.. but I didn't know it was this public.

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    If that doesn't work, there's plenty of other places to buy a sling other than Amazon.

I agree with this... MidwayUSA has done some absolutely admirable things this year and will get my business for menial accessories.

~LT

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Does it allow you to order it anyway, or does it check the address you put in? Just order it if you can and hope for the best? This seems really dumb.

or order it and have it sent to a friends address in Mishawaka. cause here in Mishawaka we don't ban jack crap...

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Just wanted to let you guys know that sellers with large inventories are not going to personalize their warnings for each individual item. They don't have time for it, way easier to put the same warning for every item. I have seen it many times, I order from amazon multiple times a week with Amazon Prime.

The seller did not say the rifle sling was not able to be shipped. That seller has numerous items, and they copy and paste those "warnings" onto every single item. It said that restricted items could not be shipped to South Bend, IN, and to check your local laws and regulations. Since the SB law was for hi-cap mags, only hi-cap mags would be the "restricted item" that warning is referring to. Now, that law is not in existence, and maybe they know, or maybe they don't.

I will be contacting them for further details. This item is actually in an Amazon Warehouse. It is sold and shipped by Amazon.

Last edited:

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Legally, there's nothing you can do about it. Even if the seller lies he's totally able to tell you to **** off. You could try customer service like other suggest, but they're probably from India and have about as much power as any other customer service rep has: ZERO.

Oddly enough, I am wondering if it's a glitch or something.

Here's another sling that is similar without the warnings.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    It looks like that seller mostly sells magazines. I don't think slings are prohibited any of the places mentioned, and hi-cap mags are not prohibited in several places mentioned. Regardless, Amazon is merely the conduit, the seller makes its own decisions on where to ship. I sell a bunch of ammo on gunbroker, and I'm not going to risk shipping to any area where there is a hint that there will be blowback, so it's the seller's rules. If you don't like it, don't make an order or give them money.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    or order it and have it sent to a friends address in Mishawaka. cause here in Mishawaka we don't ban jack crap...
    I'm sure Jack and all the other members of the Crap family appreciate your tolerance. :D

I won't do business with Amazon because they colluded with one of their secondary sellers to rip me off on a set of car stereo speakers. Sent the wrong model. I proved they sent the wrong model. I demanded they resend the right model. The seller processed it as a refund and charged me their restocking fee.

If SB is that tight an urban area, it shouldn't me that hard to travel just a short distance to get a non-SB PO box to have things of this nature shipped, as unnecessary as that should reasonably be.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I'm sure Jack and all the other members of the Crap family appreciate your tolerance. :D

I won't do business with Amazon because they colluded with one of their secondary sellers to rip me off on a set of car stereo speakers. Sent the wrong model. I proved they sent the wrong model. I demanded they resend the right model. The seller processed it as a refund and charged me their restocking fee.

If SB is that tight an urban area, it shouldn't me that hard to travel just a short distance to get a non-SB PO box to have things of this nature shipped, as unnecessary as that should reasonably be.

Its not worth it, so few things have the restriction.

To the OP, try purchasing the item anyways. Maybe the system wont automatically kick it out. If it does, email customer support and explain the situation. If they wont help, then oh well and go elsewhere.

Top Bottom