• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Ok I'm back from the range for today after shooting some groups with my Loaded National match M1A. Today's weather outside was perfect. About 75 degrees, sun, and a slight breeze about 2 miles per hour. (I live in the the Desert of California, but I'm a Indiana resident.) For todays groupings I wanted to shoot NATO ball and American Eagle M1A OTM. Federal 7.62x51 168 gr M1A OTM American Eagle 20/box - Natchez Shooters Supplies

I started out by doing a 25 yard zero with NATO ball ammo M59 150.5 grain. That didn't take long at all. Dead on 3 rounds on the target the size of a dime.

Then I posted up my targets at 100 yards. For shooting groups at 100 I like to use 12 Inch Shoot N C targets with a 1 inch diamond center.
    Amazon.com: 12" Round Birchwood Casey® Shoot - N - C® Self - Adhesive X Targets: Sports & Outdoors

So once I got all that said and done I took my place at the bench behind my M1A. Made a 5 Round group at my first target with the NATO ball. It was simple enough. I do want to say that I was shooting U.S. NATO not surplus ammo from Germany or anything.

After shooting the NATO group I cleared and loaded the American Eagle 168 OTM. Before today I have never shot this ammo, specially made for the M1A. How exactly this is made for the M1A I do not know. The manufacturer is pretty vague on this fact, but who am I? I'm no Ammo guru. So I shot my group witch turned out to be 6 because I was in the zone, and loaded a extra round. Oppsie :rolleyes:

So when I walked down range I was pretty freaking surprised, but I will let the targets do the talking..
    IMG_0757.jpg

This is the first group with the NATO ammo. Not to bad for what it was and the fact that I'm using iron sights at 100 yards. I pulled on off to the left but for the most part it wasn't too bad of a group. Here's another Pic.
    IMG_0759.jpg

I wasn't so happy to see my 2nd group on the target next to it..
    IMG_0758.jpg

This I tried another group and got pretty much the same thing. I would almost expect this out of my shooting mixed with Iron Sights and a target 100 yards out, but I got 2 good groups out of NATO ammo that turned out better than the special M1A ammo.

Tomorrow I plan to shoot some more of both to check the groups again, but from what I can tell this M1A ammo is a load of BS. :twocents:

Anyone else try this ammo and have the same effect or am I crazy?:n00b:

Top Bottom