• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Anybody here ever watch any of the full length American Gunsmithing Institute training videos. What was your opinion of them. So far I have not been able to find a lot of them for sale used, which would lead me to believe that the people who buy them think they are worth keeping.:dunno:

They do seem a little expensive.

Trickpony

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Out of State :(
    I do a bit of "shadetree" gunsmithing in my spare time for reliability on 1911 platforms and I buld a few AR-15's a year. AR's are fairly straight forward but I purchased the AGI 1911 DVD's at the SHOT show a couple years ago. I got 4 DVD's each between 3 and 4 hours in length and they were a good investment from a video standpoint. Gene Shuey is one of the greatest gunsmiths around and he teaches everything you can imagine on building a 1911 in a variety of different ways. Highly recommend them. I loaned them out recently so will have to see if the person I loaned them to would comment...?

The DVD's I'm referring to are:
    The Ultimate 1911 Video - Volume 1, 2 & 3
    Troubleshooting 1911 Style Auto Pistols

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    For my 1911 work I started a long time ago with Jerry Kuhnhausen (sp) and another I can't remember his name right now in book form so I didn't buy the AGI video as I had about all I needed.

I did buy the AGI AR-15/M-16 video and yes I think it is with keeping so I wouldn't sell it, BUT it is not as complete as I had hoped for. However since I am a toolmaker and a tinkerer I like lots of details on the "extras" because I can't leave well enough alone. So I gues that is a positive recommendation and if you want video to go further there is the David Tubb stuff for AR-15 and others our there for other type guns.

Don't know if that helps or not but it is my experience so it ought to be worth $.02!

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    Anybody here ever watch any of the full length American Gunsmithing Institute training videos. What was your opinion of them. So far I have not been able to find a lot of them for sale used, which would lead me to believe that the people who buy them think they are worth keeping.:dunno:

They do seem a little expensive.

Seems to be hit or miss on their videos.

You can rent AGI videos from here and decide for yourself..

Firearms instruction videos on DVD: Learn Firearms

I've rented videos from smartflix for a few years. They're legit.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Seems to be hit or miss on their videos.

You can rent AGI videos from here and decide for yourself..

Firearms instruction videos on DVD: Learn Firearms

I've rented videos from smartflix for a few years. They're legit.
    Good Idea. I think I'll try that. My primary interest right now is cap and ball revolvers. I wish they had a video specific to the 1858 Remington, but they don't seem to. I guess I'll check this one out.
    Cowboy Action instruction video: Cowboy Action Gunsmithing by Larry Crow

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    I have this dvd, cas gunsmithing is about the tools, his other dvds Customizing the Ruger vaquero shows what is involved in upgrades. AGI show you how to take guns completly apart and assemble. Remember there is a liability issue here so instructors only go so far. That said I find them informative enough to buy. Bob Dunlap is a hoot.

The crow videos were made in 2003.and videos are usually for sale at a discount at gun video. com.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    ..I did buy the AGI AR-15/M-16 video and yes I think it is with keeping so I wouldn't sell it, BUT it is not as complete as I had hoped for...
    The description of several of the videos, including that one, contain this phrase. (if you want the “long course”, look into our basic 108 hour Professional Gunsmith course)
    I have not, however, been able to find the price for the "Professional Gunsmith course" so far.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    Good Idea. I think I'll try that. My primary interest right now is cap and ball revolvers. I wish they had a video specific to the 1858 Remington, but they don't seem to. I guess I'll check this one out.
    Cowboy Action instruction video: Cowboy Action Gunsmithing by Larry Crow

Something else I thought of. The AGI videos I watched were mostly all made by different people and their content varied quite a bit. Some were loaded with good info, others were mostly assembly/dis assembly and cleaning.

Top Bottom